Opuntia of Orlando, Florida - pic heavy

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
paulzie32

Opuntia of Orlando, Florida - pic heavy

Post by paulzie32 »

Hey all.... Not sure how many Opuntia fans there are on here, but I know Daiv has an interest.
I've been passing this area in Orlando for the past few years and always see the cactus, but decided to stop and take a closer look the other day. There's a For Sale sign on the property so I'm sure it won't be long before it's all gone.

Now, based on what I can find on Opuntiads.com, I'm guessing these are O. ammophila. The pads range in size from about 2 inches across to over 5 inches from top to bottom.. but those are not the norm... you can see a few on each plant that size. But, most are about 3 inches across. They are all erect plants... unless they were knocked over by something... You can see some in the background in the pics too... If anyone wants more pics or closeups for better identification, let me know and I'll try to get more.
Anyone else have an opinion?

Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yeah, I have an interest! I think your ID is correct - especially if these are natives.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

I can only guess they're native as I've seen them in several locations around Orlando.

So, what would you like to know?

There were LOTS of small plants sprouting all over from fallen pads. There's also fruit on several.
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Are they all the same? The Opuntia in the second to last picture does not look like the same species to me... it looks more humifusa-like. Although, why there would be two species in such close proximity is beyond me.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
peterb

Post by peterb »

I would scavenge a few, either with property owners' permission or not. But I am a cactus rebel.

peterb
Zone 9
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

The Second to last one is just a Much larger plant than all the others.

If I do collect a few pads, Want one?
NOT that I'm saying I'll take them without the permission of someone that probably doesn't even care if they're there or not.... But IF...
Last edited by paulzie32 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

After I looked more closely I realized my mistake.

Go forth and take cuttings!
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

They're certainly not uncommon and no one seems to rescue them from anywhere else.
Well, if anyone wants... info, PM me :wink:
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Hey Daiv, What do you know about Opuntia nitens? Except for less spines, I thin this looks like a better match! The Glochids on the lower trunk look more similar than those on O. ammophila.
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Looks like O. ammophilia to me. Currently regarded as a variety of O. humifusa but not well understood; possibly a distinct species. I don't believe that the name "nitens" is currently a valid name for any populations.
Dean
Last edited by A. Dean Stock on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well there are certainly more qualified "Opuntiatics" here than me. I am pretty comfortable with the ammophilia ID. Flowers would be great and fruit close-ups.

As for collecting... you said the property is for sale. I would take cuttings and not be too shy about it either. There is a very strong likelihood that the new owners will destroy them anyway. In the rare chance that the new owner appreciates them, the plants will be back to current status in about a year.

It would be good to get collection data with them:

Locality
Altitude
Date
GPS coordinates
Other notes such as associated vegetation, soil type, etc.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Yeah.... I'm using Opuntiads.com to try to ID them... and they have O. nitens listed.
This entire populations bears similarities to the three listed/shown below. As you can all see, they do look similar... but If everyone thinks O. ammophila is the best match....
Hybrids could be a possibility too... As Harriet pointed out, there are some differences... the longer pads as seen in O. austrina are present in all plants as are the shorter rounder pads of O. ammophila... But these seem to be less spiny than O. ammophila.
I wish I had gotten pics of the Flowers, but I will try to get pics of the fruit.. Unfortunately, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow morning and won't be able to get them till I get back next week.

http://opuntiads.com/html/opuntia-nitens.html
ImageOpuntia nitens Small-( Manual of the Flora of the Southeastern U. S, pg. 906, pg. 1506. 1933)

Here's O. austrina - (another possible) - http://opuntiads.com/html/opuntia-austrina.html
ImageDaniel A. Green © November, 2005.

And this is O. ammophila - http://opuntiads.com/html/opuntia-ammophila.html
Imagecopyright Danny Green, 2006, 2007[/img]
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I truly wish that there was more information about any native cacti/succulents/agave in the South East. Obviously, Florida has some natives, but it sure is hard to find out which ones it has, or to identify what is found.
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Dr. Pinkava (FNA volume 4) lists 34 species of Opuntia in the U.S. flora. He does not include O. nitens, O. ammophila or O. austrina as valid species in the flora. At least two of these names (ammophila and austrina) are currently placed in synonomy under O. humifusa with ammophila recognized as a variety of humifusa. More study, especially DNA comparisons, might prove O. ammophila to be distinct at more than the varietal level. Opuntiads.com may be helpful as a taxonomic reference with comparative photos. However, while the site may be useful in IDing many Opuntia, there is no way to validate the photos and many very old names are listed that are not currently recognized by any taxonomic authority.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

And I've been told Opuntias are very promiscuous. ;) So who knows who's related to who or who tier ancestors are. Until someone does a DNA, we probably never will.