Dean (amanzed) growing in NE Los Angeles

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Jens

Re: Dean (amanzed) growing in NE Los Angeles

Post by Jens »

A nice selection of plants you are growing. Just keep watching them closely and they will be fine.
Thanks for the pictures.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I just LUV all the flowering cacti you have, especially the Neoporteria floccosa! Looking at all the different flowering cacti on this forum, I never knew there are so many varieties and botanists are creating more with hybrids. I just don't have the space to put them all, where do you put your cacti Dean?
Cynthia
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

I just don't have the space to put them all, where do you put your cacti Dean?
Oh, well, I'm afraid I'm not a terribly good example at present. My backyard is overfull with plants, at least the deck and long driveway. Right now it looks a bit like an absentminded artist's studio…not far from the truth…I'm an artist, I'm absentminded…the only conceit is calling the messy part a "studio".

I aspire to clean it up to the point where the deck & enclosed driveway looks like a small, eccentric nursery. I fear I have too many plants for that part of the backyard to look beautiful or designed.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Oh well....as long as they make you happy =)
Cynthia
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

The plants entrance me. They captivate me. They put in a state which might be too obsessive to call happy…but yes, they make me happy. :-)

I believe I'll get it in shape. It'll still resemble a nursery more than a landscape, but then again…I love wandering around a nursery.
Jens

Post by Jens »

amanzed wrote:The plants entrance me. They captivate me. They put in a state which might be too obsessive to call happy…but yes, they make me happy. :-)
I know that feeling, Dean!
As you get more of them your heart won´t bleed as much with one or the other plant perishing away. That´s a good reason to get some more cacti, don´t you think?
It will get much less anoying as soon as you made up a suitable way to keep them savely .

Keep on growing,
Jens
Attachments
J Kakteen 2010 November25 022.jpg
J Kakteen 2010 November25 022.jpg (167.71 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Definitely agree with what both you & Jens are saying :D I think I've finally hit the saturation point, where, with the new 14 hr/day job, several sets of seedling in & out of the propagators, & a couple of 100 plants, I can now no longer "hover", & when I loose a plant (fairly rarely), I've lived on CF so long now, whatever lesson people keep trying to hammer home, just kicks in & it's "pay closer attention to what the plant really needs. :roll:
But as most the "serious" growers have said -- Whatever goes on -- Keep Growing :D
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

Hi Jens & hoteidoc: Jens, nice picture of your benches! Is that bubble wrap on the walls? Or a honeycomb design polycarbonate? Interesting because I've used bubble wrap as a (very) informal diffuser. And what are those blue carrying flats? I've seen black nursery flats used for carrying, but they're much more flimsy than those blue flats in your photo.

Progress! I removed a giant wheelbarrow full of old potting soil and a trash bin full of broken and worn-out containers. Now my potting area looks much better. Still much work to do, but the work week is upon us.
amanzed

Post by amanzed »

Lobivia haageana
2012 ex Miles Anderson, Miles2Go.com
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Dean.....the blue crates come from grocery stores where fruit and vegetables were transported in them. If you go to supermarkets and ask them do they have any, they will probably give them to you for free.
Cynthia