Greenhouse

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Mark

Greenhouse

Post by Mark »

Do you think this greenhouse will work here in the El Paso climate during the winter. I just want it to put some of my potted plants in there during the winter.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN ... reenhouses

Mark
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

Hello Mark :D
Your link took me to a Home Depot page with a lot of different greenhouses, hard to tell which is the one you want.
Anyway, your average winter high temperature are 55-60 degrees F. approx., but it sometimes gets down to the 30's. I think everything depends on the type of cactus that you have and how sturdy is the greenhouse.
If the greenhouse is strong I guess it will be fine.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The one I wnat is this one 6.5 Ft. High x 5 Ft. Wide x 5 Ft. Deep Pop Up Greenhouse.

Mark
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

I don’t see why not, the best thing is that it’s portable. If your weather gets hectic at any point you could always place everything in your garage. :thumbleft:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok thanks I think I am going to buy it.

Mark
Franj

Post by Franj »

Hi Mark,

I built my first greenhouse last year and it has been a real learning experience. A bit bigger than yours (8' x 12'). But I think the principles are the same. First thing you need to do is consider ventilation. Without any ventilation the temps in my greenhouse reached 102 even when it was only 80 degrees outside in November. Not a good temp for plants that should be going dormant that time of year. I started running fans all day, leaving the door open and placing a big box fan right in the doorway. That helped a lot. If it's a bit cooler there you may be able to get away with less. But stil ventilation is a must in the daytime. All plants need fresh air to survive, even when dormant. And while dormant (and you're not watering them) high temps are a no no. It dehydrates them. Most cacti and succulent enthusiasts lose some plants to rot in the winter. At first my losses were all due to the opposite, dessication.

On the other hand, once I got the ventilation thing figured out and added a thermostatically controlled heater for the occasional dip below freezing, the greenhouse turned out to be the best investment I ever made. I grow many succulents as well as cacti. Some South African plants that can't seem to adapt to the seasons here and grow only in our winters grew well and flowered. And amazingly a lot of my cactus, mostly Mammillarias, flowered profusely. And a lot of my other cacti flowered so much more enthusiastically come spring.

Franj
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Mark:
Get the one I did from Harbor Freight. You can get a 10X12 for less than the one you posted. The Harbor Freight one is a great, well designed GH, from good materials. This is the BEST greenhouse deal you will find anywhere, guaranteed!
http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/w ... &Submit=Go
Bill in SC
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Franj for the ventilation tip.

Thanks Bill the one for 299.99 looks good.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Plantcelot

Post by Plantcelot »

That's exciting getting a greenhouse! Could you post some pictures when you have them all set up? :D
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

Go with their 8X6 for $299 then.. (I thought the one you posted was in that range) I'll look again..
Bill in SC
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sure Plantcelot if I get one. Thanks Bill that one does look good.Just edited my previous post.

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Today my dad brought the metal studs for the greenhouse, and we were thinking what are we going to put on the bottom? I was think about putting some rock or just taking out the grass.

Mark
Bill in SC

Post by Bill in SC »

You could just shoot some roundup on the grass and then put gravel in there for the floor. That was my intention, but I never got past the dirt floor, with some grass still hanging on.. I like the metal stud idea.. Rot proof!! Good thinking!
Bill in SC
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok thanks Bill need to look for the roundup.

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Last week we started building my new greenhouse. We already built the 3 walls and made the door. We just need to buy the cement to move the clothes poles and put them somewhere else. We also need to buy the paneling that we are going to use and it should be done by the end of this month maybe. We also need to figure out how we are going to build the benches or what we are going to do about that. Will try to take some good pictures.

Mark