Saxicola's collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Saxicola

Saxicola's collection

Post by Saxicola »

Hi everyone,

Even though I joined the forum a month ago and made a post in the new member forum, I really haven't been active here but plan on posting more from now on. To sum up my other post for those that forgot or didn't read it: I moved to the Los Angeles area about 2 years ago, which is when I started collecting succulents in earnest. I have a Ph.D. in plant systematics (i.e. taxonomy) so I know a lot about plants in one sense, but I'm relatively new to succulent cultivation and I have a lot to learn about growing them. I also have quite a ways to go on learning the various genera and species that are out there, however my family concept is pretty strong.

I figure a good way to say hello is to show you my collection! These pictures cover about 90% of the collection. Some of them I've been growing for 1-3 years, but this winter and spring I've gone on a bit of a buying spree and have a bunch of new additions to my collection. I know the names of almost all my plants, but there are too many to list, so if you want to know what something is (or want a closeup image) just ask! Other than a recent interest in Aeonium, I haven't really focused on any specific group. I just buy cool plants when I see them! Some of my favorites are Trichodiadema bulbosum, Sulcorebutia canigueralii, and Aloe plicatilis, but I love them all.
Enjoy!

I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
majcka

Re: Saxicola's collection

Post by majcka »

Nice collection.

Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Sweet collection! Nice to have a taxonomist on board!
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

good looking collection, I envy you for being able to keep them outside!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
cactuslee

Post by cactuslee »

very nice, love that huernia in the back row.
Artur89

Post by Artur89 »

Large Echinocereus - necessarily show how blooms (I see a lot of buds :) )
Btw... I envy you the sun. Here in Poland is still cold and rainy (as in April) :evil:
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Thanks for the kind words. In the future I'll make different posts and show closeups when individual plants are doing something interesting. For instance I'll post pics once that Echinocerus blooms. I've had it for about 3 years but this is the first time I'm getting flowers. This post was mostly just a way to say hello while adding what we all love, pictures.

I definitely have appreciation for the climate I'm in here in LA. I've lived in Colorado and Boston, among other places. Living the past few years (and hopefully forever!) in a virtually frost free, arid, but not too hot, climate is kind of a dream as far as cacti and succulent gardening grow. Eventually I'll get a greenhouse so I can grow the things that are too touchy even for here (true tropicals and plants that absolutely hate cool, wet winters).

As for the Huernia, it grows like a weed for me. I lost the tag on it but I think it might be H. schneidnerana. The flower is a solid dark maroon. When it flowers again I'll really try to nail it down and will post pics.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I, for one, am very glad you decided to say hello!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Artur89

Post by Artur89 »

In that case, I look forward to individual plants (especially on hybrids and Echinocereus blooms) :wink:
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I'll definitely post pics when the E. rigidissimus blooms. It probably would have flowered by now, but our spring has been really screwy this year. We had an unusually warm winter, then March and April decided to be cool and rainy (more like January and February should be). Starting next week we should warm up so hopefully that will speed things up.
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Very nice collection.
-Mughal