black spots on tip of cactus (with photos)

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
npevey

black spots on tip of cactus (with photos)

Post by npevey »

I need some advice on my cactus. I've had this plant for a few years, and it's always seemed healthy. It's added about three feet in growth in the time I've had it. Recently, I noticed black spots near the tip. The spots are hard and dry. I can't tell if they're spreading (yet). Other plants in the same pot don't seem to be affected. A couple of months ago, I moved the pot from in front of the window to a spot across the room where it still gets bright light but isn't in direct sun. Could that have something to do with it? Should I cut off the affected part? Thanks so much!
Attachments
DSC_0004.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 612 times
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG (26.07 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Saxicola

Re: black spots on tip of cactus (with photos)

Post by Saxicola »

That move is probably the cause. Our eyes are great at compensating for light levels so to us a spot across the room looks almost as bright as a spot by the window but it isn't. I can't remember the actual ratio of light level to distance from a window, but the dropoff is enormous. Your plant is getting maybe 1/10th or less the amount of light it was near the window. I don't think the spots are a disease, so they won't spread for that reason, but if the light level stays too low more spots will probably form and the new growth will be really etiolated.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
npevey

Re: black spots on tip of cactus (with photos)

Post by npevey »

Thanks for the advice!