Help Please! What are these black spots from?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
CindyBell

Help Please! What are these black spots from?

Post by CindyBell »

Black spots on two of my cactus.  Does anyone know what causes this and what it actually is?
Black spots on two of my cactus. Does anyone know what causes this and what it actually is?
001.JPG (43.49 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Can anyone tell me if this is actually a fungal problem or is there such a thing as fluid exudation on cactus plants? I have not watered these for a couple weeks and just got them used to the sun. These spots were not on there this morning but after sitting in the early afternoon sun they appeared. What is this and what can I do about it? I sprayed them with a copper fungicide just in case and moved them out of direct sun for now.
:(
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (48.37 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
004.JPG
004.JPG (34.93 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (35.19 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
CoronaCactus

Re: Help Please! What are these black spots from?

Post by CoronaCactus »

Looks like Thricocereus/Echinopsis spachiana, which is not known to leak fluids. Black furry balls would indicate flower buds, those aren't flower buds.
It almost looks like bird poop, but the pics a bit blurry.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

could it have been stung by another cactus? I had something a bit similar on one of my trichos once
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
CindyBell

Post by CindyBell »

It could have been. I have them all sitting very closely together. The two of them where right next to each other.
CindyBell

Post by CindyBell »

No, not bird poop. They were kind of oozing. The area is hard not soft at all. I used a q tip and wiped it with copper fungicide and the some of the black rubbed off on the qtip but not mushy or soft at all.
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

I hear you.
I have something like that on a few seedlings. No soft at all, blisters, some liquid leak but not much, spots eventually turns black. I still not sure of what's causing it. I have too many blisters to consider they would all sting each others. These seedlings are still under lights so, no chance of sunburn. My thread: http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... rs#p238263

There is also this thread... which looks a lot like it to me but a stage before the black spot. This one is very spreaded while mines have more small spots.
http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... rs#p238117

Can you find other spots that are not black or are they the only spots on the plants ? Would you consider these threads pictures ressemble your problem?