URGENT!! MAMMILLARIA MYSTAX EMERGENCY!!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Aichybatoal

URGENT!! MAMMILLARIA MYSTAX EMERGENCY!!

Post by Aichybatoal »

Please read the text beneath the pictures, too, as it is very important
My mammillaria mystax, already represented in several posts on this forum, is is EXTREMELY worrying condition :( . I have no idea what exactly is the matter, or what to do with it. I was taking it out of its soil to repot it because it was rotting (or something) #-o , and was horrified to see the following :shock: .
Scarycactus1.JPG
Scarycactus1.JPG (43.86 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Scarycactus2.jpeg
Scarycactus2.jpeg (60.49 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Scarycactus3.jpeg
Scarycactus3.jpeg (84.28 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Above the soil, it was turning brown and shriveling. Then, the rest of it turned a slightly lighter, sickly shade of green. So, like I said, I took it out of its pot and soil, only to find 3 other things wrong. 1: The root ball is WAY smaller than I would have thought possible. Was it damaged in the past? :-k 2: There are a bunch of brown, corky-looking tubercules, slightly mushy to the touch :shock: . 3: THERE'S A FREAKING HOLE IN IT :( .

:cry: WHAT DO I DOOOO??? :cry:
Don't underestimate the Dancing Boomerang Clam.
Daniel

Re: URGENT!! MAMMILLARIA MYSTAX EMERGENCY!!

Post by Daniel »

Well it definitely seems to be rotting. (state the obvious) I think you may be able to cut away the rot or if not perhaps cut the root off, let it callous over and then treat it as a cutting. I am no expert in this so let someone else have an opinion before you act!! :-k :-k
-Daniel

Aquatic technician at Maidenhead Aquatics, Windsor.
I like the South Americans. Cacti that is...
Aichybatoal

Post by Aichybatoal »

Daniel wrote:Well it definitely seems to be rotting. (state the obvious) I think you may be able to cut away the rot or if not perhaps cut the root off, let it callous over and then treat it as a cutting. I am no expert in this so let someone else have an opinion before you act!! :-k :-k
Hmm... That could be a cool experiment! Thing is, see in my 3rd picture, how there are, like 3 stages? There's a top part (no, not a pop tart) that's deep green with white wool around the spines. Then, there's a sick, light green layer, followed by the rot. I think the only part worth saving would be the top layer, and that's a pretty small bit. Think it's worth it? I'll wait for other suggestions, too.

Also, thank you for responding so quickly! It takes a lot of worry off me!
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

the light green could heal... would not mind a pop tart though.........
-Daniel

Aichybatoal

Post by Aichybatoal »

There's some brown rot spreading up there, too... By the way, does rot spread? Like, is it contagious, I guess?
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

rot i think does not spread but if there is a fungal infection in it that will spread. I personally would keep it away from other plants until you know what to do.
-Daniel

Aichybatoal

Post by Aichybatoal »

Great, will do! Thank you!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Daniel wrote:rot i think does not spread but if there is a fungal infection in it that will spread. I personally would keep it away from other plants until you know what to do.
Sorry, but rot does spread, and if left unchecked it'll kill the plant. The top part of your Mamm mystax tends to suggest that the growth point is still healthy, so your best hope is to remove all the rot and root the top. Here's some instructions.

1. Cut out the rot using a sharp knife sterilized with alcohol. Actually, this will be a series of cuts starting with the initial cut as it looks like this:
Scarycactus3_cut.jpg
Scarycactus3_cut.jpg (155.11 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
Continue making small cross-section cuts until you see only green tissue. I don't think it'd matter if the skin is light green, but you need to completely remove any brown stuff. If you leave even a little bit behind, the rot will continue spreading. The top part is now the cutting that will hopefully save your plant.

2. Dust the bottom of the cutting with fungicidal powder -- sulfur powder is easily found at nurseries and garden centers, so that should be fine. Let the cutting callous in a dry spot away from direct sunlight, and warm enough to keep it from cold that could damage the plant. It'll take the callous at least a month to heal. When you see shriveling along the edge of the cut, don't panic -- it's a normal part of the callousing process.

3. Once the callous has healed, place the cutting on top of fresh, dry cactus mix, and keep it dry. You won't see any growth in winter, but after spring starts, you can check occasionally for signs of new roots. They'll look like stubby little white protuberances coming out of the bottom. I don't know how long it should take, but I think mystax roots rather easily. However, some cacti can take a year or more to root, so you'll need to be patient.

4. As soon as you see new roots, leave the cutting in cactus mix and continue keeping it dry. Give it about a month, and your plant should be ready for its first watering. Be careful not to over-water -- the building root system won't be able to handle a lot of moisture at once, so light watering is best until you see new growth on the plant's apex really take off.

There are two final things to consider. One, if you cut away at the plant and you see rot going way up into the center, I'm afraid it may be done for. Two, assuming that you have enough left for a salvageable cutting, you'll really need to do something about your mix. The heavy and overly moist soil you were using is precisely what left you with a rotting root ball. Don't know what cactus mixes you have access to, but if it's a commercial mix, you should add a lot of something that'll give you a freely draining mix. Pumice is ideal, although you may not be able to find it. If you can't, either Turface or NAPA Floor-Dri (8822) would be good options. The mix should tilt heavily in favor of drainage, so I'd recommend at least a 50/50 ratio of mineral product to soil. My personal recommendation would be more like 70/30 mineral/soil in your mix.

Hope this helps, and let me know if it works out for you. Best of luck!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

If you are about to do that I might add that you have to sterilise the knife between EVERY cut or you will infect the healthy tissue once you hit it.
Aichybatoal

Post by Aichybatoal »

That was exactly what I needed to know!! Thank you for such a detailed response!! About my soil - it has been living in "Cactus Soil" for several months now, and I JUST made a new mix: 25% coir, 25% potting soil, 50% pearlite with some Osmocote and bone meal, too. I'll do what you suggested - I've never really done a cutting before (however, once a cleaning lady at our house broke the center column of a Fairy Castle cactus in half, and so we left the broken bit out, and after just a week or so, it had started growing roots already, so we potted it...!). It'll be an exciting experiment, and I'll keep you updated!

Thank you SOOO much for your information!!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Aichybatoal wrote:That was exactly what I needed to know!! Thank you for such a detailed response!! About my soil - it has been living in "Cactus Soil" for several months now, and I JUST made a new mix: 25% coir, 25% potting soil, 50% pearlite with some Osmocote and bone meal, too. I'll do what you suggested - I've never really done a cutting before (however, once a cleaning lady at our house broke the center column of a Fairy Castle cactus in half, and so we left the broken bit out, and after just a week or so, it had started growing roots already, so we potted it...!). It'll be an exciting experiment, and I'll keep you updated!

Thank you SOOO much for your information!!
Any time, my friend. If I could make one more suggestion...

Perlite floats away, and is a big pain in the backside. If you can rework your mix with Turface or NAPA Floor-Dri instead, I think you'd be much happier using it. However, if you decide to stick with Perlite, I'd recommend a thick top dressing to help keep the Perlite down whenever you water. Some members don't like top dressings, although I've always preferred it as a nice accent to the look of my plants. It's purely a matter of individual preference, but in your case top dressing over Perlite does have a practical application. Something like gravel or aquarium pebbles would be fine. But whatever you do, don't use sand -- fine for sandboxes, but nothing you'd want to see in or on cacti.

It's always nice to see good results coming from advice here, so by all means please keep us posted!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Aichybatoal

Post by Aichybatoal »

All right, I made the cut and used the dust, now it's curling around the edges and looking very lonely. I'll post pictures of the procedure later.

Also, thanks for your advice about pearlite and the top layer! I just bought a BEAUTIFUL Opuntia microdasys, and potted it in my new mix. Then, I added some aquarium pebbles, and it looks 20 times better, and pearlite doean't float up and look bad. I also did it to my Notocactus magnificus, and it looks equally amazing. Thanks!
Aichybatoal

Post by Aichybatoal »

I haven't updated you guys in a while, and I was wrong in doing so. Here are several pictures that I've taken over the past several weeks:
I had to make several cuts - as you can see, it was pretty rotten...
I had to make several cuts - as you can see, it was pretty rotten...
Mystax Cut 1.JPG (29.91 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
This was all I was able to save, and even that might have been too much...
This was all I was able to save, and even that might have been too much...
Mystax Cut 2.jpeg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
Here's the cutting, dusted with sulfer antifungal dust.  Did I use too much?
Here's the cutting, dusted with sulfer antifungal dust. Did I use too much?
Mystax Cut 3.jpeg (36.65 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
But just today, on my regular inspection of it, it looked like this!
Several weeks later, the cutting is REALLY shriveled, and there's white fuzz growing on it!!  Is it dead?!
Several weeks later, the cutting is REALLY shriveled, and there's white fuzz growing on it!! Is it dead?!
Mystax Cut 4.JPG (42.99 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
Is it dead (or impossible to prevent death)? If so, WHY?! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hate to say it, but you have an ex-mystax there. The rot went too far up in the meristem to leave you with anything more than just the top of the plant. If I had to keep cutting and the end result was less than a third of the original plant body, personally I wouldn't even bother trying. Regarding sulfur powder, there's no such thing as too much. Why the mold got in there is beyond me, but maybe someone else could tell us if certain fungi are immune to the effects of sulfur powder.

I believe Mamm mystax is fairly easy to find, so I hope you'll be able to get another one without having to search around a lot. In the meantime, sorry about your loss -- it's a shame when any of our cacti aren't there to live another day. (Yeah, I know, cycle of life and all that. Still sucks.)
Aichybatoal

Post by Aichybatoal »

Aawwww, that's too bad!! Well, at least I got to see the inside of a cactus! Thanks for guiding me through this, everyone! This was my first (real) cutting, and I'm glad I got to try it!