Spots on my Gymno

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Steve Johnson

Spots on my Gymno

Post by Steve Johnson »

I have a Gymnocalycium ochoterenae ssp. vatteri with spots I need to ask about. I don't know when they showed up, but it must've been sometime last week. The spots on the plant are facing north -- here's a photo:
Gymnocalycium_ochoterenae_ssp_vatteri09252012_spots.JPG
Gymnocalycium_ochoterenae_ssp_vatteri09252012_spots.JPG (112.52 KiB) Viewed 351 times

There's also a spot on the west-facing side of the Gymno that looks the same as the other spots I'm describing. Maybe a delayed reaction to the 100-degree heatwave on the 14th and 15th? I'd accept sunburn as a possibility if the spots were on the opposite side, but that just doesn't fit the problem. Certainly not life-threatening (at least as far as I can tell). However, I don't have enough experience with the species to know if the spots are normal, or if they're a problem I could address. I hope someone can help!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

Re: Spots on my Gymno

Post by Steve Johnson »

Bump -- the day after our big blast was 87. I watered that night, and the next day was 83. Maybe too soon for watering the Gymno? 100-degree days in my area are so bloody unusual -- if (or more like when) it happens again, perhaps it would be be better to wait more like a week after that kind of extreme heat passes. Advice anyone?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)