Help!!!!!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
CactusLover

Help!!!!!

Post by CactusLover »

Some of my cacti are drying up or rotting from the top down. Does anyone know what causes it? I did some digging online but couldn't find any info on this. ](*,) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
apfire

Re: Help!!!!!

Post by apfire »

You would get much better answers to your question if you post a picture or two. You know the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words.
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

how does a cactus rot from teh top down? most of the time, unless it's necrosis which is caused by bacteria it is FROM the roots up that the rot happens...
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Peter,

I've seen it happen when people grow them as house plants in very low light situations. Bottom up is most common but it can happen the other way. It would be really helpful if we get pictures though.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
CactusLover

Post by CactusLover »

Here is some pictures
1. Adenium obesum
[attachment=1]DSC_0237.JPG
2. Quiabentia verticillata
[attachment=0]DSC_0238.JPG

Any ideas what's causing this? Thanks a lot in advance.
Attachments
1. Adenium obesum<br />1. Adenium obesum<br />Adenium obesum
1. Adenium obesum
1. Adenium obesum
Adenium obesum
DSC_0237.JPG (48.9 KiB) Viewed 973 times
DSC_0238.JPG
DSC_0238.JPG (29.43 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Peterthecactusguy

Saxicola wrote:Peter,

I've seen it happen when people grow them as house plants in very low light situations. Bottom up is most common but it can happen the other way. It would be really helpful if we get pictures though.
AH HA, I never really though about that much. My bad. I guess I need to try and forget everything I have learned about Cacti and succulents sometimes.

Cactus Lover exactly what I forgot and Saxicola remembered is what happened to both of those plants, they needed more light. You might be able to cut off the tops and save the bottom parts which will grow some new growth that is healthy if they are provided more light. To provide more light you need to gradually re-introduce the plants to light.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

If you are to try cutting them just keep in mind that the sap from the Adenium is toxic, to the level that it's known to of been used as arrowtip poison.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:
Saxicola wrote:Peter,

AH HA, I never really though about that much. My bad. I guess I need to try and forget everything I have learned about Cacti and succulents sometimes.

Cactus Lover exactly what I forgot and Saxicola remembered is what happened to both of those plants, they needed more light. You might be able to cut off the tops and save the bottom parts which will grow some new growth that is healthy if they are provided more light. To provide more light you need to gradually re-introduce the plants to light.
Don't worry, I'll forget something like that soon enough! Feel free to correct me when I do!

On the Adenium I see a brown spot near the base. Is that soft? If so the plant may be a goner. If it is firm then you are probably ok. Anyway, your pictures pretty much confirm that low light may be to blame. Can you confirm that you are growing them indoors? How close to the window are they? I'd put them in the window sill or as close to it as possible (being careful to protect from direct sun until they are acclimated. Where do you live? In warmer climates they may do better for you outdoors.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Peterthecactusguy

Saxicola, well it happens.
:)
CactusLover

Post by CactusLover »

Thank you everybody for the advice.
Yes, I'm growing them indoors. Usually, they are on the window sill, but I had to move them temporarily because my apartment was being painted. They are going back on the window this weekend. That should make them happier. It was already dark outside when I took the picture, and I had to put them somewhere so I could get a better shot, so that's why it looks dark. I live in upstate New York and our summer is warm enough to put them outside, but I'm in a apartment. I have a pretty large balcony, but it doesn't get much light.
The spot on the Adenium is firm, so I guess we'll see.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!