My cacti are rapidly getting worse - please help

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Plasma

My cacti are rapidly getting worse - please help

Post by Plasma »

I'm new to the forums, but I have had these cacti for years. However, two of my oldest have developed strange problems. I have no idea what species these are, so I have included full plant photos as well. If anybody could tell me what may be wrong, I would be very grateful. I don't know a whole lot about plants, but I like them too much to just let them die.

As you can see, this one has a fine white flaky skin over it and it keeps spreading every day. I'm worried that it's some form of rot.

EDIT: Just over the course of the night the white flaky skin spread even further:

Please, if somebody knows what this is, please help.

This one's base(s) have turned yellow. Could it be dying? It is possible that I over watered it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me out.
Peterthecactusguy

Re: My cacti are rapidly getting worse - please help

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I think the first one is way too dry and might have etoilated. The second one is etoilated and has some corking. the whitish stuff is the waxy stuff that coats the epidermis.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

Thanks for replying. The strange thing is that I had just watered the first one before it started peeling and is now turning yellow-green on the top. I was doing some more research, and I found out that cacti can experience sunburn. I had just moved it someplace more sunny than it was before about a week ago. Could sunburn cause those symptoms, and is there a way I can fix it? I just got some cacti "food", would that help?

As for the second one, I know that corking is natural, so thanks for clearing that up. I just didn't know the difference between corking and death just by looking at it.
Peterthecactusguy

best advice for if you think something has sunburn, move it out of the sun. (its possible that is damage from too much sun)
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Plasma - I would definitely vote for sunburn on #1 (don't know the plant, like the corkscrew) & like Pete said move into dimmer light for a week or 2. Probably will show damage, but over a year or 2, will get out/overgrown! :D #2 looks like a Cleistocactus with some normal base corking.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Plasma wrote:I'm new to the forums, but I have had these cacti for years. However, two of my oldest have developed strange problems. I have no idea what species these are, so I have included full plant photos as well. If anybody could tell me what may be wrong, I would be very grateful. I don't know a whole lot about plants, but I like them too much to just let them die.
Don't know the species on your first cactus, but the corkscrewing is a sign of stress from lack of water. Fanaticactus alerted the forum to a great and very thorough article that deals with the effects of stress on cacti and succulents. If you'd like to read it here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3030/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'll have to scroll down quite a bit before you get to the section on shriveling, but you can see some examples of cacti corkscrewing as a result of dehydration. If you don't want to bother scrolling, here's a salient quote from the article's author:

"I don't know if these 'twisting' of Ferocacti is always a sign of 'shriveling' in dehydration and this plant is not mine so I am not sure what it normally looks like. But I have had several large Ferocacti with almost no roots that were ornamentally tightly spiraled and somehow still alive (sadly that was before I started photographing plants so I don't have examples of these two in their corkscrew shape). When planted and slowly rewatered the roots came back and the corkscrew shape I liked so much, completely unscrewed itself until the plants fattened up and had perfectly straight up and down rows of spines... healthy plants! But no longer so cool looking. The Melocactus on the right has also showed signs of corkscrewing or shriveling in response to a particularly long, dry period. And the Cereus cactus below was being offered at a nusery for sale. In this case, the stress of dehydration has an appeal and may allow this plant to be sold as a 'spiral' form, when in all liklihood, it will unspiral as soon as it gets some water. I hope this isn't being sold as a rare monstrose form."

I concur with the sunburn problem on #1. Not much you can do about the existing damage, so the best thing is to gradually acclimate the plant to stronger sun, and it should outgrow the damage once it gets proper watering and fertilizing. Don't know where you live, but if it's somewhere north of the equator, your cacti shouldn't be getting any water until spring. Once the growing season kicks in, your plants should start responding to water.

By the way, I may not be getting a good look at the potting mix in your photos, but it appears to be way too heavy on soil. I'd strongly suggest adding a mineral component for better drainage. Heavy soils tend to retard healthy root growth -- even though you've had your cacti for years, I think they could be doing a lot better in the right mix with proper watering and feeding.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Peterthecactusguy

first one could be like the one that is down in the garden at the ex's parent's house. It's a Cereus of some sort and some of the stems are normal and some aren't, all of them have grown several inches this year including the corkscrewed on. I still think it's either got severe sunburn OR it's desiccated. either way it either needs to be removed from light or watered.