New here

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Jodeci

New here

Post by Jodeci »

I need help identifying my babies

also including a fallen brother

thanks
-jodeci
iann

Re: New here

Post by iann »

The last one is a Mammillaria. M. backebergiana? Apparently infested with mealies. Not good for the plant at all. Any other plants you bought from the same place or have lived within a few feet of that plant almost certainly have little mealies growing up on them too.
--ian
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

All of your plants are etiolated as well, as in give more light.
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I agree - these plants need more light and need to be treated for mealy bugs. Also the soil looks like pure peat which will give you trouble in the long run.

The first seems to be a Cholla of some sort, the second, I'm not so sure what it is.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Astro

Post by Astro »

The Mammillaria looks like it has a suspicious dark spot at the bottom. You may want to check it for rot.
Jodeci

Post by Jodeci »

the last plant is dead and is outside in the woods under the snow now. the dark spot was water it leaked out. it's gone. i threw it out
I have them on a table in front of a big window. how else can I give them more sunlight in winter?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Jodeci wrote:the last plant is dead and is outside in the woods under the snow now. the dark spot was water it leaked out. it's gone. i threw it out
I have them on a table in front of a big window. how else can I give them more sunlight in winter?
Cacti need sunlight for growing in the Spring and Summer -- outside. They shouldn't be growing at all in the Winter -- inside is good for keeping them protected from the cold, but no water. If you keep watering them now, the warmth in your home is forcing them to grow. If you follow this and also my advice for a better potting mix (see http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=28665" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), your plants should be fine.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

I'd venture to say #1 is a species of Cylindropuntia (cholla). I have one similar but with more branches; some contributors thought it might be a form of spinosior; I think you can't get much more specific than C. species, as shown here in our own CactiGuide photo library. The spines just aren't as foreboding as most other chollas. Your #2 might be either a Cleistocactus winterii, a Disocactus (Aporocactus) flagelliformis (but it looks too thick) or perhaps a very badly etiolated Trichocereus/Echinopsis.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

1 looks like it's a Austropuntua subdunata ? or maybe a Cylindropuntia.
2. looks like an Echinopsis.. the peanut cactus one, it's etiolated at the top, like the opuntiad (#1) also is.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.