Cactus Newbie, Should I cut?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Nicoconut

Cactus Newbie, Should I cut?

Post by Nicoconut »

I'm pretty new to growing cacti. I bought three toothpick cacti yesterday and I came home to replant them to find stem rot on the smallest one :( The place I bought it from had the spot covered in dirt, so I wasn't able to see it when I made the purchase of them.
Since I'm new to this, I was wondering where i should make the cut?
and the cactus is not soft around the rotting area.. does this mean something?
iann

Re: Cactus Newbie, Should I cut?

Post by iann »

If the stem is rotting then you need to cut. Is it rotting? Or just discoloured?
--ian
CactusFanDan

Post by CactusFanDan »

If it's not soft, then it's not rotting. It could be an old wound which has healed over. Wash out the wound with water (or diluted peroxide if you want to be sure) and leave it to dry completely. Then when you repot the plant make sure the wound is above the soil level and doesn't get wet when you water the plant. :)
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
Nicoconut

Post by Nicoconut »

iann wrote:If the stem is rotting then you need to cut. Is it rotting? Or just discoloured?
It appears to be rot, a large piece was missing, but I thought when it rotted it was soft? Thankyou for your reply :)
CactusFanDan wrote:If it's not soft, then it's not rotting. It could be an old wound which has healed over. Wash out the wound with water (or diluted peroxide if you want to be sure) and leave it to dry completely. Then when you repot the plant make sure the wound is above the soil level and doesn't get wet when you water the plant. :)
I cut the little guy anyways, the piece missing was too large and he couldn't stand, I was surprised the other side holding it together didn't snap already. Thanks for the reply though!