3 cacti in same bowl, same problem, same side?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Gymnotions

3 cacti in same bowl, same problem, same side?

Post by Gymnotions »

Three of our cacti, adjacent to each other, are faded and "shrivelled" on the same side.

Our guess is it has something to do with rain - they are under a plastic roof, but we had 3 days of very rainy, humid and windy weather, and rain was clearly blown under the roof, and drips were splashing onto the plants on the table. Also it had been rather chilly over night, mid to high 40s. The cacti with the problem were right at the edge of the table, and the sides with the problems face outward. Also - the problem side gets very little direct sun.

Can getting rain blown onto the skin of the cactus for a couple of days cause this? If so, is there anything we can do to save them?

The soil in the pot is dry, so clearly not a ton of water hit the pot. We don't however suspect under-watering as we've monitored it closely.
Attachments
All three plants together, showing the "bad" side. You can see a little of the good sides of the middle plant, and the left-most one
All three plants together, showing the "bad" side. You can see a little of the good sides of the middle plant, and the left-most one
Image00001.jpg (133.64 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Image00002.jpg
Image00002.jpg (167.95 KiB) Viewed 745 times
You can see the line between the shrivelled half and normal half
You can see the line between the shrivelled half and normal half
Image00003.jpg (136.1 KiB) Viewed 745 times
Image00004.jpg
Image00004.jpg (113.88 KiB) Viewed 745 times
hoteidoc

Re: 3 cacti in same bowl, same problem, same side?

Post by hoteidoc »

Did that with too cold, too close to porch windows, or can happen with sun, but unless some toxic rain.... :-k
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
iann

Post by iann »

They look fried. Serious freezing might do that, but a couple of days of chilly rain shouldn't.
--ian
Gymnotions

Post by Gymnotions »

We've having trouble accounting for the problem though given that all three cacti are shriveled on the same side. If it were just the cold, the whole cactus should be equally affected, right? Given that they're all shriveled on the same side, which is the one toward the side of the roof, we had to conclude that rain splashing was at least in part responsible.

Also, any advice on saving these guys? Right now we're just letting them sit and making sure they don't get any more water or cold. They don't seem to be getting worse but I'm definitely worried about rot. Should we depot them?
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

No - whole cactus wouldn't be equally affected, only side facing cold. But I'm talking <20F, & yes, eventually whole cactus would rot, but not 1st 2 - 3 days. You're talking recently. We had 94F last week -- was that when this happened? At any rate, don't this there's much you can do but pray. I severely sunburned a Echinocer. triglochidiatus this past March when I took Winter pot cover off, proving for a 2nd time what Iann had said -- it is definitely possibile to sunburn a cactus in upstate NY in March or April :roll: . Didn't kill it, but it got pretty scorched. I think you're left with observation.... & hope ](*,)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!