Cylindroptunia pests....

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
pokey1

Cylindroptunia pests....

Post by pokey1 »

Hi everyone... I hope someone can help me out here. Last week, I noticed that my C. fulgida (cristata) had started to develop small, shiny black areas on about a dozen of the aeroles. After viewing them with a magnifying glass, I surmised that they are some sort of nasty pests, and I attempted to look them up, with no luck. Not knowing any better, I introduced the critters to a thorough dose of AVID. It seemed to make most of them disappear, however, being a cristata, they seem to have multiplied in the folds. After discovering these, I isolated it, and have checked all the other cacti that were near it. No signs of anything, except for on ANOTHER Cylindroptunia! My C. imbricata has the same thing, but only on one of the areoles. I isolated that one as well, and treated it with AVID.
Am I using the right pesticide? I have Malathion and IPA at the ready, but I am wondering just what in the heck these things are! If it helps, when I treated the fulgida today, the black "things" just slid off of the main body. Thanks so much in advance...
Proud papa to 25 Genus and 78 species of these prickly devils.
tumamoc

Re: Cylindroptunia pests....

Post by tumamoc »

I'm not sure if you took care of the problem or not since Monday. But, any chance you could post a photo?