Dumpstered Agave

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
YumAz

Dumpstered Agave

Post by YumAz »

Rescued three of these yesterday. The neighbor was removing pups from his agave and throwing them in the dumpster. I asked if I could have a couple and he said sure, he didn't know what kind they are. I think they're Agave angustifolia marginata (correct me if I'm wrong). I watered them when I planted, should I let them dry out now or give them another watering in a few weeks?
thanks
iann

Post by iann »

Mmmmm .... free plants :love7:
--ian
YumAz

Post by YumAz »

:lol: big suckers too.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Yumaz,

This is a moderate sized agave, but I think one of the most striking.

Buck Hemenway
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi, YumAz,
what a beautiful plant! I'd fall in love with it, too.

I would treat an Agave like a cacs and not water it for at least 2weeks after repotting/planting. I always fear that they rot, especially at the surface of a cut. But what's done is done, don't you worry, they are pretty tough. Just give it a good rest now, I guess at yours it will be quite warm thus the soil should dry up fast?
Ruth
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
YumAz

Post by YumAz »

Wow Buck, that is a great looking agave. If mine gets that big it will put my havardiana and americana in the shade, but that won't happen for quite awhile, maybe not in my lifetime. thanks for the pic.

Hi Ruth, yes I thought people might think I was crazy for planting and watering it now, but it's only getting into the 50s at night and the mid to upper 70s during the day, nothing will freeze. I worried about my Faucaria and Anacampseros when it got down to the 40s at night, but they took it well, I can't see any changes in them. The ground doesn't dry very fast this time of year, but I didn't know what else to do with them. Things start putting out new growth pretty early here. (like January) So it won't be long and they will be using the water.
thanks
Be Well
murmanator

Post by murmanator »

Yum,

Im pretty sure that it wont get quite that big in AZ. Ive seen these in bloom in my neighborhood and they were maybe half to 2/3 the size of Bucks. Wonderful plant, Buck!
cactuspolecat

Post by cactuspolecat »

The best plants are free ones, it's a lovely Agave, you've scored well...
I seems like Buck's plant could roll away if given a shove, it looks like a perfect sphere.

CP
"To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king!" ...Bruce Cockburn.

G'day from down under in Devonport, Taz, the HEART of Oz.
cactusveda

Post by cactusveda »

this is how it blooms