Peanut cactus turning brownish and scaly

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
volvogrrl

Peanut cactus turning brownish and scaly

Post by volvogrrl »

Hello all,

I have been putting off seeking advice on this subject, as I thought I could turn things around by moving this plant to a different location, repotting it, and seeing what happens. It hasn't improved much, and I am at a loss as to what is going on. It appears to be a sunburned plant, but it hasn't been in direct light, and existed happily in the same location for quite some time before it began to harden and turn brown. It used to be a thriving, vibrant green plant that bloomed beautifully every year, now I am worried for its future :(

Can anyone tell me what this looks like? For the record, I have not seen any pests on it, and I wondered if perhaps the dripping of an overhead eucalyptus tree might be to blame. Thanks for any help!
Attachments
IMG_1249.JPG
IMG_1249.JPG (91.62 KiB) Viewed 810 times
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG (110.22 KiB) Viewed 810 times
CactusFanDan

Re: Peanut cactus turning brownish and scaly

Post by CactusFanDan »

Ooooh ugly. Looks like classic mite damage. You need to spray with a miticide (acaricide) if you want to take care of it, but the current damage is irreversible.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
volvogrrl

Re: Peanut cactus turning brownish and scaly

Post by volvogrrl »

Oh I have no doubts its irreversible. I would just like to see some new green growth; a sign it is feeling better!