Days of my cacti lives - in pictures

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Pompom

Re: Days of my cacti lives - in pictures

Post by Pompom »

7george wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:01 pm Opuntias are worth to keep in collection outdoors only. Thirst they are bulky and second need all the sun your sky provides. These I have (polacantha, fragilis, some other hybrids and cultivars) possess almost limitless cold-hardiness (- 35 C for sure) and can be kept in pots in winter cause their roots ate cold-hardy as well. Ground here freezes 0.5 m deep in winter anyway. Our summer is maybe like yours, average maximums 23°, minimums ~10° and unbelievable 18 - 32° during the heat waves. But lot of sunny clear days at my 1025 m elevation.
Oh really?? That's AWESOME! Now you got me interested. I might try to grow one in the future, just because if the plant gets the winter rest, it's almost guaranteed bloom. What do you think, would the opuntia polyacantha survive about 5-6months in frost, max 7? Normally the winter starts here at some point of November and the spring starts in the end of Aril but there has been and there will be annual changes with the winter. There has been even Junes when we got snow.
You climate sounds just like ours. :) Unpredictable would be a word for it. And the weather can change in a blink of an eye, like you are 100% sure that the sky was clear 30 minutes ago but is now full of clouds and soon it starts to rain. Does that happen in Calgary too?
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Plus! I have to say it. Is it just me or does the Mammillaria carmenae resemble some kind of yellow, hairy moth or caterpillar of moth? Hurr, at first I had to scroll past it because I got shivers and my brain yelled danger... Tried to go back but I just can't make myself to look straight to it but instead my brain wants me to look little off. I don't like moths. Maybe I need one M. Carnmenae to get over of my fear :D

As for your (and everybody else) schlumberegra. How in the world can everyone make their sclumbergera so thick? I have one year old cuttings and about 5 months old cuttings and they are not even half as thick as yours are. What is your secret? Yours looks so gorgeous compared to cuttings I have, which are more like flipety flop leaves than succulent. I've been trying to read care instructions in english and finnish. Finnish in case of there is something different with care here in Finland. But nothing seems to help. :/
7george

Post by 7george »

Pompom wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:41 pm
7george wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:01 pm Opuntias are worth to keep in collection outdoors only. Thirst they are bulky and second need all the sun your sky provides. These I have (polacantha, fragilis, some other hybrids and cultivars) possess almost limitless cold-hardiness (- 35 C for sure) and can be kept in pots in winter cause their roots ate cold-hardy as well. Ground here freezes 0.5 m deep in winter anyway. Our summer is maybe like yours, average maximums 23°, minimums ~10° and unbelievable 18 - 32° during the heat waves. But lot of sunny clear days at my 1025 m elevation.
Oh really?? That's AWESOME! Now you got me interested. I might try to grow one in the future, just because if the plant gets the winter rest, it's almost guaranteed bloom. What do you think, would the opuntia polyacantha survive about 5-6months in frost, max 7? Normally the winter starts here at some point of November and the spring starts in the end of Aril but there has been and there will be annual changes with the winter. There has been even Junes when we got snow.
You climate sounds just like ours. :) Unpredictable would be a word for it. And the weather can change in a blink of an eye, like you are 100% sure that the sky was clear 30 minutes ago but is now full of clouds and soon it starts to rain. Does that happen in Calgary too?
Absolutely -- it is the same here too, four seasons in a day. Last week we had a hot day (32 degr.) and a cool one, 14 C max. Winter lasts 5 - 6 months generally but first frosts come in October (some years even Sept.) and lasts are in April or May. Even we have lot of warm days with melting snow between colds in winter but local cacti do not wake up until stable warmth comes somewhere in May. Try some Opuntia if you can hardy species.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

As for your (and everybody else) schlumberegra. How in the world can everyone make their sclumbergera so thick? I have one year old cuttings and about 5 months old cuttings and they are not even half as thick as yours are. What is your secret? Yours looks so gorgeous compared to cuttings I have, which are more like flipety flop leaves than succulent. I've been trying to read care instructions in english and finnish. Finnish in case of there is something different with care here in Finland. But nothing seems to help. :/
I don't think I'm expert in Schlumberegra. Segments of mine are maximum 5 - 6 mm thick, is that a lot? It hasn't grow many new segments since I have it (not even 10) but flowers abundantly. Fertilizer? it is P & K containing mostly. It gets some direct and indirect light/sun, also short days at cool windowsill in fall. Changed soil and pot once but see no big difference in grow habit.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

7george wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:34 pm
I don't think I'm expert in Schlumberegra. Segments of mine are maximum 5 - 6 mm thick, is that a lot? It hasn't grow many new segments since I have it (not even 10) but flowers abundantly. Fertilizer? it is P & K containing mostly. It gets some direct and indirect light/sun, also short days at cool windowsill in fall. Changed soil and pot once but see no big difference in grow habit.
PFFTT :lol: :lol: You're talking about millimeters? I'm here talking about parts of millimeters :lol: :lol: It might be the way my cuttings just are. Genetics or something. I did combine the two different cuttings in one pot a while ago. It seemed to do nothing but encourage segment growth. They look so different from each other it made me think that maybe the thickness is an individual feature as well. The year old ones are in fact much thinner than the ones from 5 months ago. But they both can be thin compared to your beautiful plant! I've done literally everything I can to make the plant happy as possible. Including the fertilizing, I've tried shade, more light, regular morning spraying, not spraying, change of the soil. Nothing works.

Here you can see what I'm talking about :lol: The segment there is so thin I could actually count all the cells in it with sunlight if I wanted. And as you can see, I'm literally talking about parts of a millimeter. Thickest parts instead can be cracking 1mm thick! Isn't that huge?
sclumbergera.jpg
sclumbergera.jpg (54.46 KiB) Viewed 8046 times
partofanmillimeter.jpg
partofanmillimeter.jpg (50.46 KiB) Viewed 8046 times
iseetrhougyou.jpg
iseetrhougyou.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 8046 times
Overall the plant looks healthy and fine. It's growing and has nice color. It just isn't as thick as many other shlumbergera.
7george

Post by 7george »

Be patient, with age branches get thicker. Most of my plant segments are 3+ years old I guess.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

The last of Opuntia blooms:

And some not-cacti:
IMG_1147y.JPG
IMG_1147y.JPG (76.66 KiB) Viewed 7939 times
IMG_1142z.JPG
IMG_1142z.JPG (181.94 KiB) Viewed 7939 times
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

Some cacti do blooms almost the whole summer.

This is the first bud ever of this young plant, a rooted offset a friend gave me.

And these are some M. grahamii seedlings after their very first transfer this spring. They do not waste time to grow up as much as possible during summer at windowsill with no shade at southern window even getting just several ours of sunlight. Granite top dressing should remind them about their homeland in Phoenix. :wink:
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

Nothing blooms these days, just that M. boolii opened the very first flower:

This is how Hylocereus seedlings can work as nursing plants of Mammillaria seedlings:

Some spines to share:
Neoporteria senilis.

Tephrocactus atriculatus.

One more thing: the hail season is still around. Not much damage this time, just some broken off pads and leaves of unprotected plants.

Part of the habitat.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

Last flowers, summer is over.

G. baldianum secondary bloom. Seedlings of Echinocereus viridiflorus in the background.
IMG_1299sm.JPG
IMG_1299sm.JPG (106.17 KiB) Viewed 7728 times
Spines of this Gymnocalycium got grayish from outdoor sun but stayed longer dark-coloured when held behind glass.

An ice-plant (Delosperma sp.) and a Sedum.

This looks like an Agave but it is actually Furcraea selloa cultivar. Been moved indoors as most of my cacti already.

This Dahlia plant will spend winter bare-rooted in a cool place, like some cactus.

Unlike most plants these flowers last several months.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

Fall and winter came together here and I thought this is the last flower for the season:
IMG_2495x.JPG
IMG_2495x.JPG (183.92 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
Buds of this Fero faded, maybe cause I moved it in October to "better" spot...

Made a list of plants pending to soil change, bought some components & started to transplant some.
Copi_2522.JPG
Copi_2522.JPG (106.17 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
Than saw some buds on top of my Ariocarpus and despite of the changing weather in a sunny day at the end of November it happened:
Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus
Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus
IMG_2525xs.JPG (81.77 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
IMG_2532xs.JPG
IMG_2532xs.JPG (81.32 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
:D The flower lasted for 3 days.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
hegar

Post by hegar »

I just looked at your last few postings. Those Opuntia spp. are growing in the ground in Calgary, Alberta, Canada? They must be really tough little plants. I do like the pink-flowering one a lot. It does not have the pad-like cladodes of common prickly pear cacti. What is the scientific name of that specific cactus?
I also noticed, that you do have a nice Ferocactus latispinus plant. I did have a pretty large one of those In the ground in my front yard. It was always the last cactus to try to flower and most of the time blossoms did not develop, because it just got too cold, despite me placing a 5-gallon bucket over it during the nights.
Your Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus also is one of those late bloomers. The first seedling I planted in the ground did not live very long for me. I do not know, what caused its demise. However, I recently purchased two replacement seedlings and hope, that I will be more successful this time around.
I also love your Turbinicarpus spp. plants. That genus is also one of my favorite ones.

Harald

P.S.: Is that an almost black squirrel on one of your images? The grey squirrel from North America has been introduced to Europe and is giving the endemic red squirrel there a hard time. So I assume, that the animal you photographed is indeed a grey squirrel, albeit of a darker than normal color.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

hegar wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 pm Those Opuntia spp. are growing in the ground in Calgary, Alberta, Canada? They must be really tough little plants. I do like the pink-flowering one a lot. It does not have the pad-like cladodes of common prickly pear cacti.
Yes, they are tough - O. polyacantha and O. fragilis are native there (so is Coryphantha vivapara). The pink-flowered one could be fragilis or a hybrid thereof, natural hybrids between it and polyacantha are very common. I imagine the yellow-flowered one is a polyacantha - did I guess right?
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

Those Opuntia spp. are growing in the ground in Calgary, Alberta, Canada?
Yes, these grow in my back yard in Calgary.
The yellow-flowered Opuntia with large pads is O. polyacantha, different canadian clones.

Pink flowered ones are some hybrids or cultivars. This below almost without spines is most likely Opuntia aurea x pinkavae.
Some habitat photos from Flickr.

All my Opuntia are started from our local Alberta cactus club, some are from the habitat.

IMG_2494s.JPG
IMG_2494s.JPG (109.24 KiB) Viewed 7373 times
Here is how these Opuntia survive in winter: shrinking 2 - 3 times in size to reduce their water content before first colds and staying this way till next growing season that starts in May. Also not water-sensitive if not damaged, we have many melts and freezes during winter due to often chinooks in Calgary area.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

Winter flower are always exciting.

Some spines are even better.

°C = (°F - 32)/1.8