Clover Mites

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
emilleejoyce

Clover Mites

Post by emilleejoyce »

Hello,

Lately I've been noticing 1 or 2 clover mites hanging around on my cacti and succulents. I never see more than two at a time and they just seem to be wandering around, not eating the cactus (though it's hard to tell because they are small). The outside of my apartment is absolutely crawling with clover mites so I figure they're coming in through little gaps in the windows/walls. I was wondering though if clover mites could pose a threat to cacti. The internet says they feed mainly on grasses by sucking the sap out and I worry that they might find the succulent flesh of a cactus appealing. Has anyone had any experience with clover mites or knows if they eat cacti and succulents? I figure 1 or 2 mites is not a problem but I worry they could become more numerous due to the amount I've seen crawling around outside. Can I just leave them be or should I kill them when I see them?
Steve Johnson

Re: Clover Mites

Post by Steve Johnson »

Pest mites attacking cacti and succulents are red spider mites and flat mites. I don't think that clover mites will bother your plants, although hopefully we can get confirmation from more experienced members.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)