Predators for root mealybugs?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Mertzi

Predators for root mealybugs?

Post by Mertzi »

Hey all,
I've been having problems with mealybugs, both on plant bodies and in the roots for a while now. The situation is getting slightly out of hand and I need to control them now.
As I'm not a fan of strong toxic chemical pesticides I am looking for other alternatives, and I'm curious about using parasitic or predatorty insects to fight them. Do anyone have experience of this?

I keep my plant indoors in my flat, and don't want to have it overrun by flying insects, even though I don't mind a few. Do you think it would be okay to plant Cryptolaemus montrouzieri for example? I think I may need both a soil dwelling parsite/predator as well as one that can attack the mealies above.

I've found some information about a soil dwelling mite called hypoaspis that have been reported to attack root mealies. Have anyone tried this? There is no risk that these predatory mites become a pest themselves, right? I don't want to switch one pest for another!

Here are two links I found, one about hypoaspis:
http://www.appliedbio-nomics.com/wp-con ... oaspis.pdf

and one about predators/parasites for mealybugs:
http://www.entocare.nl/english/products_mealybugs.htm

All answers much appriciated!!!
iann

Re: Predators for root mealybugs?

Post by iann »

Predatory mites won't become a pest. When they've eaten everything they will die out.
--ian
Mertzi

Post by Mertzi »

Thanks, iann.
The mealies seem to be gone for now but I'll keep an eye out for them. Will go for the predators/parasites if they show up again!
iann

Post by iann »

Mertzi wrote:Thanks, iann.
The mealies seem to be gone for now but I'll keep an eye out for them. Will go for the predators/parasites if they show up again!
I doubt they disappeared on their own. Just hiding?
--ian
Mertzi

Post by Mertzi »

Probably true. Feels like they come and go a little, occasionally I find a pot full of them and in between I see nothing. So far they haven't killed anything, even if htey were close with one of my epiphyllums