Pompoms first seeds

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
ElieEstephane

Re: Pompoms first seeds

Post by ElieEstephane »

That's hilarious 😂😂
Regarding the alien, if it does spread and threathen your seedling, open the bag and spray it with diluted hydrogen peroxide. In most cases that will be it.
A diy fungicide i learned about )but have not used yet) is wood charcoal. I assume it must be pulverised or turned into powder. Some expert cacti growers swear by it so i guess it must have aome merit to it.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:30 am That's hilarious 😂😂
Regarding the alien, if it does spread and threathen your seedling, open the bag and spray it with diluted hydrogen peroxide. In most cases that will be it.
A diy fungicide i learned about )but have not used yet) is wood charcoal. I assume it must be pulverised or turned into powder. Some expert cacti growers swear by it so i guess it must have aome merit to it.
It seems one seedling has this growth on its roots so soon I will know if it's dangerous or not since the seedling would become ill.

Thanks for the diy trick!! With my cooking skills, I could make basically anything into charcoal... Wood would be easy too :lol: :lol:
Have you ever turned food into an instrument? I've done. Nuggets were too long in the oven and surprisingly they didn't burn but the shell hardened and the insides shrunk into a little pea and that's how I made little rattles from food :lol:
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

You are genuinely hilarious pompom :lol: :lol: my sister too has the superpower of turning any food into charcoal :lol: that and bumping cars in parallel parking ](*,) But me, when it comes to cooking, i'm even more passionate than growing cacti!

Concerning the seedlings, now that you say it's on the roots, i think it's probably root hairs. Seedling roots look very similar to fungi.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
7george

Post by 7george »

Your summer is hot and this will help to rise those with success.
Well, not the case every year. Sure, you are right, need to keep those longer under lights. I just thought if you have sunny window as well could provide some natural sunshine from time to time.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

ElieEstephane wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:16 pm You are genuinely hilarious pompom :lol: :lol: my sister too has the superpower of turning any food into charcoal :lol: that and bumping cars in parallel parking ](*,) But me, when it comes to cooking, i'm even more passionate than growing cacti!

Concerning the seedlings, now that you say it's on the roots, i think it's probably root hairs. Seedling roots look very similar to fungi.
Oh your sister might be my soul sister! :lol: Fortunately I've been safe from car accidents. Once in parking garage I took a turn too early and ended up scraping half side of the car with concrete post...
I'm too kinda passionate with cooking. Only thing is the food doesn't know that! If I somehow manage to do everything right, the food ends up to be on a floor, walls, me... :D One day I made pea soup. I don't know what went wrong since I did exactly what was said in recipe. The soup ended up being not soup but mash so hard you could turn whole pot upside down and it wouldn't even budge.
Fortunately it seems cacti like me :D

About the white stuff being roots, it might be possible. The only thing is the roots won't spawn magically on the sides of the pot and some random places. The white stuff seems to be under control now, it doesn't spread and has disappeared from some places. The one seedling with white on the roots is doing ok too. It has been one of the lightest ones from the beginning and seems to have stopped growing like the others while the green ones have nice spines already. I tried to take better picture of the white stuff but my camera just wants to focus on the plastic, not the insides. It's super annoying.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

You had me laughing out loud! :lol:
As for the focus, i shine a light at the seedlings inside, sometimes the photo works and sometimes no but it's worth a try
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Hi everyone! I now have busy times 'till the end of the month so can't hang around here very much. I had to come here to ask what to do now. The first pot of seedlings is doing good, but I have to open the second pot. One of the seedlings didn't grow at all and is now starting to fade away and is turning transparent (red arrow). Three of the seedlings are really pale, one is just white (blue arrows). Should I pick them out too and try to graft in my opuntia? I have nothing to lose though. Thanks in advance! :)
firstpot
firstpot
cactiseedlings1.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
secondpot
secondpot
cactiseedlings2.jpg (55.15 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
7george

Post by 7george »

Well, we should adjust our care efforts according to needs of first (larger ones) of the whole batch of seedlings. Weaker and smaller ones always die at later stages even been transferred into another soil/pot and given adequate care. If pots are uncovered you should wait for soil to dry out (more or less) between waterings that would make the planting healthier. For grafting choose some green young seedlings, whitish will be gone.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

7george wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:42 am Well, we should adjust our care efforts according to needs of first (larger ones) of the whole batch of seedlings. Weaker and smaller ones always die at later stages even been transferred into another soil/pot and given adequate care. If pots are uncovered you should wait for soil to dry out (more or less) between waterings that would make the planting healthier. For grafting choose some green young seedlings, whitish will be gone.
Thanks george! I ended up taking all the weak ones out of the pots. The pots are still in bags. It appears the first batch is actually losing to the second batch when it comes to size. Maybe because they don't need to race against each other that much or something?
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

The seedlings are about three months old! They are now about at size of 5-10mm. They've started to fall sideways because of their size, is that ok? I had to pick out all the bad ones. Biggest ones start slowly look like mammillaria, they are having their first tubercles.
On the second pot one seedling is little different to the others. The loner on the bottom right corner. It has so small spines. It's older (germinated before) most of the seedlings in that pot. Is it possible to it to have shorter spines than the others as adult or is it just positioned badly and doesn't have something that the others have?
firstpot.jpg
firstpot.jpg (31.89 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
seconpot.jpg
seconpot.jpg (31.74 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
7george

Post by 7george »

Pompom wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:04 pm The seedlings are about three months old! They are now about at size of 5-10mm. They've started to fall sideways because of their size, is that ok? I had to pick out all the bad ones.
firstpot.jpg
seconpot.jpg
At this size I usually uncover and add some top dressing sand or rocks for support of the leaning ones. The second pot definitely will need some thinning down to provide more space and light for better growth. At 5 - 10 mm diameter seedlings can spend next winter fully dry.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

7george wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:47 am At this size I usually uncover and add some top dressing sand or rocks for support of the leaning ones. The second pot definitely will need some thinning down to provide more space and light for better growth. At 5 - 10 mm diameter seedlings can spend next winter fully dry.
Thank you for advises! About thinning down the second pot, what kind of seedlings you usually pick off? What kind of seedlings I should keep to get the best results? The largest or the ones with a huge bottom or look for features something else? Sorry if I ask silly things, this is my first try ever so I don't know what I'm doing :lol: I'm planning to uncover the pots permanently maybe at the end of July or early August depending of the progress the seedlings have made. In August the seedlings will be 6 months old which I read is usually minimum age for uncovering.
Thanks in advance! :D
7george

Post by 7george »

Pompom wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:30 am Thank you for advises! About thinning down the second pot, what kind of seedlings you usually pick off? What kind of seedlings I should keep to get the best results? The largest or the ones with a huge bottom or look for features something else? Sorry if I ask silly things, this is my first try ever so I don't know what I'm doing :lol: I'm planning to uncover the pots permanently maybe at the end of July or early August depending of the progress the seedlings have made. In August the seedlings will be 6 months old which I read is usually minimum age for uncovering.
Thanks in advance! :D
My minimum age is ~3 months. Plastic obstruct light penetrating and some seedlings look little ethiolated so earlier is better. Especially for the crowded pot. How many seedlings you will pick to leave depends on you only but transfer those into several different pots to have survivors for sure if something happen with some of plantings. In this case I would phase out just some weaker ones and with pure pigmentation if any. You can do transfers one at time in different months. Plastics contribute to temperature inside so if you think room environment is not so good for growth just leave one longer sealed. Knowing these pots have been unsealed once even for short I would expect some fungi to appear soon inside so would do transfers in coming weeks.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Pompom

Post by Pompom »

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with my experiment with the seeds! The seedlings are now uncovered permanently and are living on windowsill. They are getting just enough of light. Only one seedling is having tiny tint of stress coloring going on. Some of the seedlings are having their first colored spines which I unfortunately couldn't catch in the pictures. The seedlings are so precious.
potsown5.2.2018.jpg
potsown5.2.2018.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
potsown11.2.2018.jpg
potsown11.2.2018.jpg (55.54 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
I had to pick out plenty of seedlings, I took off the bad ones, discolored ones, slim ones, the ones which looked not that nice. But left this one "bad" in the pot. It's still so tiny so I can't take clear picture of it. Nor can I see what it really looks like so I can't even describe it. These are not the clearest pictures here, but does anyone has any guesses what is/isn't wrong with it. I know, I know, even if it's having some kind of mutation going on (which I really wish), it can reverse to normal growth if it wants to. But now it really doesn't look even close to normal. Soo, what do you guys think?
weirdoabove.jpg
weirdoabove.jpg (62.41 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
weirdoside.jpg
weirdoside.jpg (62.02 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
RiseMoon

Post by RiseMoon »

It looks so cuteee