Treat bare root euphorbia like cacti?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
EuphorbiaFanatic

Treat bare root euphorbia like cacti?

Post by EuphorbiaFanatic »

I’ve recently become enamored by euphorbia. I have a modest collection and all have come bare root. I’ve read as much as possible regarding cultivation of the individual species and most information states that euphorbia enjoy plenty of water during the growing season, though not to the extent of being kept soggy.
I’ve been reading about how forum members treat their cacti and they allow the roots to dry for several hours-days and some treat the roots with peroxide soaks and soapy water soaks.
I’ve been planting my euphorbia right away and watering them in! I have them planted in a coarse mix, which has been working for my adeniums, even under the constant rain we’ve been experiencing in the Mid-Atlantic. My mix contained about 15% coir, 20% Turface, 10% charcoal, 30% granite sand, 30% coarse perlite, and about equal proportions of smaller perlite, vermiculite, desert clay, quartz sand, and a small amount of Osmocote.
Should I change my approach? Should I not water the newly planted euphorbias, until a given amount of time?
I’d also like advice about possible encouraging an E. lactea ‘White Ghost’ to grow out of a slight lean it has. I’ve so far potted it as centered and as straight as possible and have gently leaned the plant to rest against a stand, so that the side that it needs to grow towards is facing the sun. The plant is outdoors, where it gets 3-4 hours of morning sun and by 11 am it is the shade of the house.
Thanks I’m advance!
brixtertabun

Re: Treat bare root euphorbia like cacti?

Post by brixtertabun »

Deleted
Last edited by brixtertabun on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

In my experience, the euphrobias i have really resent repotting. I don't do it unless necessary but when i do i immediately repot in new soil but withhold water for some days. Better safe than sorry
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi EuphorbiaFanatic,
how are your plants by now? Have they "weathered" the watering after repotting? Why don't you post a picture of them?

As ElieEstephane, I try not to repot my Euphorbias. I do need a good cause. If I do so, I use a coarse mix, too, where your mixture really is elaborate. Sounds good. Mine is much more simple -- but I can't plant mine outside. Winters are too cold. Your idea with charcoal with all that rain seems to be a good idea to me.

After repotting, I do not water Euphorbias for a week at least. When outside during summer, I even protect them from rain.

N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.