2019 Natural Hybrid Cacti of Orogrande, NM

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Spikylover

Re: 2019 Natural Hybrid Cacti of Orogrande, NM

Post by Spikylover »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
These must be even more beautiful in person! We are lucky to have you Harald showing us these photos!
Didn't you encounter any palette flowers?
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Rachel,
you are the first person I experienced asking for "palette flowers". I tried to look this term up in Google and think, that this would include flowers with color tones that are similar to eye shadow colors. I am going to finish this thread with the inclusion of what I believe and called "unusual colored hybrids". There is in fact one plant, which does have are very odd pastel colored blossom. That cactus was the first I noticed when we arrived at our destination. It was growing next to a pile of desert soil that had been dumped there some time ago. The color is almost "flesh colored".
I shall post a few images of that cactus later today. So, please "stay tuned".

Harald
Spikylover

Post by Spikylover »

Hello Harald
Sorry i'm not a native speaker so i do translate some stuff literally. What i meant was multicolored flowers like the one in your avatar.
But in any case, more photos is great!
Rachel
Gardening with my mother and father in war ridden Syria
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Rachel,
no need to apologize. I have lived in the United States of America for over 40 years and I still make some silly mistakes or am misunderstood by the "natives". My mother tongue is German and I am not even near perfect with that language either.
In this last part of my Orogrande Hybrid Cacti thread I am posting a few cacti, which may loosely considered to be bi-colored. Others do have an unusual color hue. So I bundled them together under the headline "unusual colored hybrids".
My multi-colored hybrid image, which I am using for my avatar photo, was indeed from a pretty rare cactus that I photographed in 2006, if my memory serves me correctly. Finding hybrids that show the characteristics of the Texas rainbow cactus (Echinocereus dasyacanthus) is unusual, because those plants are self-fertile, i.e. there are not male or female plants as is the case for the claret cup (Echinocereus coccineus ssp. rosei). So the chance is much higher, that they self-pollinate or are pollinated by another plant nearby of the same species.
The plant that I think had the rarest color hue is the last one pictured (images 20-22). It was growing very close to the road at the edge of a man-made soil heap. I only hope, that it will remain in place for many more years to come. Unfortunately, some unscrupulous people seem to have dug up a large number of plants over the years, either to sell them or plant them in their own gardens. However, at least the less accessible plants seem to be safe from greedy people.

Harald
unusual hybrids1a.JPG
unusual hybrids1a.JPG (134.68 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids2a.JPG
unusual hybrids2a.JPG (166.22 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids3a.JPG
unusual hybrids3a.JPG (148.28 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids4a.JPG
unusual hybrids4a.JPG (102.44 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids5a.JPG
unusual hybrids5a.JPG (86.96 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids6a.JPG
unusual hybrids6a.JPG (154.51 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids7a.JPG
unusual hybrids7a.JPG (96.49 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids8a.JPG
unusual hybrids8a.JPG (106.82 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids9a.JPG
unusual hybrids9a.JPG (170.03 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids10a.JPG
unusual hybrids10a.JPG (149.41 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids11a.JPG
unusual hybrids11a.JPG (99.08 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids12a.JPG
unusual hybrids12a.JPG (87.94 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids13a.JPG
unusual hybrids13a.JPG (162.65 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids14a.JPG
unusual hybrids14a.JPG (167.33 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids15a.JPG
unusual hybrids15a.JPG (162.96 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids16a.JPG
unusual hybrids16a.JPG (118.9 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids17a.JPG
unusual hybrids17a.JPG (159.9 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids18a.JPG
unusual hybrids18a.JPG (126.96 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids19a.JPG
unusual hybrids19a.JPG (161.81 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids20a.JPG
unusual hybrids20a.JPG (135.94 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids21a.JPG
unusual hybrids21a.JPG (157.3 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
unusual hybrids22a.JPG
unusual hybrids22a.JPG (95.93 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Beautiful colors! I specially like photos 20a-22a
Alejandro
hegar

Post by hegar »

Yes, Alejandro,
although it is not the prettiest of the bunch I photographed, it too is my favorite. The color of that plant is what I understood Rachel meant, when she was asking about the presence of cacti with "palette colored blossoms". I thought that meant a pastel-colored flower, i.e. a subdued kind of color, not a bright one. That specific plant did not advertise its presence with an eye-popping display of strong, bright, highly visible flower. So perhaps it will not be noticed by someone raiding the countryside of its cactus vegetation. The main problem Is though, that it was growing in plain sight less than 20 feet away from the road.

Harald
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Amazing! Thanks for sharing! Not only incredibly beautiful but also very interesting to know the effects of hybridization!
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello mmcavall,
thank you very much for your kind words. I do not mind sharing whatever is of interest to me with anybody who is interested in it. It really makes me feel good to hear comments of appreciation. This gives me the motivation to continue and do my best while doing so. When I first moved to this country and settled in the U.S. Southwest, I had no idea about the beautiful aspects of the Chihuahuan Desert. To me everything seemed brown, grey and dead. Only after living here for a while did I realize how wrong my first impression was! The desert is alive and sometimes very colorful.
This impression was magnified, when I was lucky and landed a position with the United States Department of Agriculture as a plant disease diagnostician and part-time botanist. Using microscopes on a daily basis allows me to see even more wondrous things about nature.
I have always loved plants and I also love my job. What more could any person ask for? :)

Harald
autodikaktos

Post by autodikaktos »

Hegar, we work for the same Department! Although yours is a much more meaningful position I think than mine. :lol:

And I hope that last Echinocereus survives until its natural demise, what an unusual "palette" of colors it has, indeed.
"yep, son, we have met the enemy and he is us." ](*,)
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Looks like you have some competition Harald
https://m.facebook.com/groups/323068404 ... __=S%2AW-R
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Elie,

I was wondering who the "competition" could be. The only person that comes to mind, who has recently posted some digital images from the field trip to Orogrande, NM (Jarilla Mountains) is a member of my local cactus club. However, there were most likely several additional people who did have cameras and were taking pictures.
When I tried the link you posted, I was not able to access the facebook site. So it looks like the competition will remain a mystery person. I am almost convinced 100% though, that whoever it is, did not post as many images in facebook as I have in this thread. :)

Harald
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello Harald
The names are Chris Jinkel, Javier Gurrola, Jeff and Marie thompson
They posted 170 photos but in all honesty, your photos are much better taken.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
hegar

Post by hegar »

Hello Elie,

I have no idea who these people are. They could be members of a New Mexico Cactus and Succulent Society or visitors from out of state.
When we did go to Orogrande, there was a group of people walking around on the slopes and perhaps they were taking photos. That would be OK with me. I did mention to my friends in our vehicle, that I hoped that those people did not come to poach cacti. It is kind of unusual to see other folks out there. However, the mountain range is easily accessible and there are also rock hounds canvassing it for various minerals. I do have my cactus beds surrounded by interesting rocks that I found there, including some from mine tailings that contained copper, pyrite and lead compounds.

Harald
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

With increased interest in such locactions, i fear that poaching is unfortunately inevitable on the basis of " i'll just take a cutting".
keith

Post by keith »

Texas rainbow cactus (Echinocereus dasyacanthus) is unusual, because those plants are self-fertile" I didn't know that .

I have a cactus called Echinocereus pectinatus v. wenigeri subs. ctenoides I grew from seed it has a slight orange flower. I am a little suspicious of the long name though ?

very nice pictures looks quite bright out there on the desert .
Attachments
s-l64.jpg
s-l64.jpg (2.09 KiB) Viewed 5844 times