Few misc. grafting questions

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
wilsontucker

Few misc. grafting questions

Post by wilsontucker »

1. What size pots do you generally put your Pereskiopsis in for grafting (when you actually graft on them, not when you're growing them).
2. Any blade/knife suggestions for doing seedlings? I was considering scalpels with replaceable heads, as I haven't quite found a sharp/cheap option I like yet.
3. If a graft fails do you just regraft onto that pereskiopsis stock, or give up and put it back into the grow area to make offshoots?

4. What's the best method for growing Hylocereus stock. Right now I have about 10 cuttings split between two 5gallon pots, they're all pushing out new pieces. Should i take off those pieces when they reach a proper height and use for grafting, or let it grow a couple long pieces then start taking offshoots? (really just share your methods here).
5. Should I split the Hylocereus into their own containers. I know if you're growing them big for fruit they each need their own huge pot, but just for grafting stock does it matter?

Thanks in advance!
Pereskiopsisdotcom

Re: Few misc. grafting questions

Post by Pereskiopsisdotcom »

I don't have much experience with Hylocereus so I'll just give my opinions on 1,2, and 3. I know I've been saying it for a while, but I'll update my website: http://pereskiopsis.com/cactus-grafting-guide/ with more of these basic questions and ideas for substitutes.

1. Accommodate the roots. You could graft right to brand new cuts or cuttings that are sitting in water and working on rooting. Use the containers that make sense for your space requirements. I find if too many are too close together it is easy to bump and knock off a scion so because of that and because I want bigger roots I usually using something that is at least 2x2 inches.
2. Super sharp. Utility blades are usually the way to go for me. Use them once then they go to the garage for around the house use.
3. Depends on how important it is. If I'm trying to graft 100 of that seedling and I have 500 I'll just call it a loss and move on. If it's something pretty rare where I only have one or two seedlings I will cut lower to the root for the graft, leaving myself room if it does fail to retry.
http://pereskiopsis.com

Interests include: Rhipsalis, Turbinicarpus, Gymnocalycium, and Lophophora.