strange Crassula Ovata black splotches

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
zevobh

strange Crassula Ovata black splotches

Post by zevobh »

Howdy. My beloved Jade that I started from a single leaf some 16 years ago is experiencing some strange black spots on this year's new growth. nothing in its environment has changed (repotted 5 or so years ago, these spotty symptoms only showing in the past few months) so Im a bit at a loss. it is kept indoors.

I fertilized it this year (Miracle-Gro Liquid Indoor Plant Food), which I've never done before, but it grew much faster this year which I was happy about. maybe that is causing the spots? The new growth has these little black splotches and I can't figure out what they are. I wouldn't be too concerned about just trimming off all the affected area if that's the right thing to do, but I don't know if maybe I should treat the plant with something. I water it every week or so through the warm months and less in the winter. It gets partial sun and it seems to enjoy it.

Thank you very much for your help, I really don't want this plant to die. It was started from a leaf pulled from a now dead plant that belong to a family friends plant that was originally his grandfathers! thank you all for any ideas you may have. it does seem to be spreading slowly to cover a larger portion of the leaf area, predominantly on the underside of the leaves.
bbarv

Re: strange Crassula Ovata black splotches

Post by bbarv »

Looks like a fungus to me, it shouldn’t kill your plant but better be treated with fungicide.
I would also remove black leaves.
zevobh

Post by zevobh »

thanks bbarv will do. what fungicide would you recommend?
Shane

Post by Shane »

zevobh wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:37 pm thanks bbarv will do. what fungicide would you recommend?
Sulfur has worked well for me
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction