Cactus in the wild - identification please.

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
eduart

Cactus in the wild - identification please.

Post by eduart »

Hi All,

I need some help in the identification of the cactus in the foreground. I think it could be a Pachycereus. The plant in the background is Euphorbia ingens.

Couldn't get closer to the plants, I was 100 -120 meters away. The picture was taken in the Koko Crater (Hawaii).

Many thanks,
Eduart

DSC05000 - small.jpg
DSC05000 - small.jpg (149.61 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
DaveW

Re: Cactus in the wild - identification please.

Post by DaveW »

Hi Eduart,

When I "Googled" Cacti of Hawaii I got these links. Obviously there are a lot of introduced and non native species, so whether the Cereus you illustrate is native or not I do not know.

http://www.starrenvironmental.com/image ... =Cactaceae

You could try their Cactus Society on Facebook for identification, since they don't seem to give a contact email in the link below.

http://cssh.angelfire.com/
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

That's stenocereus thurberii. It looks like there's another different stenocereus in the far back
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
teo

Post by teo »

Are there actually any (real) native cacti in Hawaii ?
Dodi Russell
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)

Post by Dodi Russell »

teo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:24 pm Are there actually any (real) native cacti in Hawaii ?
I don't think so. I think the cacti may have germinated by seed carried by birds or could have been brought as ornamental plants which I think would be less likely..
Location: Sri Lanka, tropical climate, high humidity( no winters)
7george

Post by 7george »

I need some help in the identification of the cactus in the foreground. I think it could be a Pachycereus.
Hi, Eduard,
The plant you are asking about might be a Stenocereus thurberi and that in background -- some other Stenocereus, Cereus or Pachycereus. It is hard to see any details at this photo, do you have uploaded high resolution images somewhere else? I believe all cacti in Hawaii are introduced by humans there.
http://www.starrenvironmental.com/images/
All cacti species listed at the page above are referred as Non-Native: Cultivated or Naturalized.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
eduart

Post by eduart »

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies.

I checked - before going to Hawaii and also afterwards - the plants listed as introduced to Oahu island. I have now three different options - Stenocereus thurberi, Pachycereus, Pilosocereus. None of them is on the list, not that this list is perfect but this is a quite visible plant even if very difficult to walk / climb to it. Stenocereus thurberi is a good option, old plants look similar... but I am still not convinced. I also have seen the websites containing photos of cacti form Hawaii.

Many thanks again... I'm still thinking... hahaha

Cheers,
Eduart
Niko13

Post by Niko13 »

My guess is Stetsonia coryne