Wife's Haworthia in trouble!

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Traveller

Wife's Haworthia in trouble!

Post by Traveller »

Hello,
My wife's Haworthia are dropping like flies and since I'm mainly into cacti, this is out of my knowledge base.
Her Haworthia all seem to have some sort of scale, but I am not sure which type, or it could be something else again. Also, I am not sure what is the best treatment for her plants. We live in Zone 10, Sydney, Australia and it's just gone into Autumn here now. I've taken some pictures and I hope we can not only work out what the problem is, but how to fix it as well; Happy wife, Happy life. I've got to get these Haworthia fixed up.
Thanks in advance,
Traveller
Attachments
Haworthia01.jpg
Haworthia01.jpg (143.35 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Haworthia02.jpg
Haworthia02.jpg (140.53 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Haworthia03.jpg
Haworthia03.jpg (148.92 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Zone 10, Sydney Australia
I love the Mexican Miniatures best!
mikethecactusguy

Re: Wife's Haworthia in trouble!

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Scale on succulents is treated the same way as you would on cactus. Cactus are succulents.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

So are these just a normal variety of scale? Is it OK at this time of year (Autumn) to remove them from the pot and totally scrub them down, then spray with isopropyl? Is there a better way to do it?
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I treat scale 2 ways. Surface treatments and then systemic to ward off another infection. I have been very lucky. I have not had a scale issue as of yet. Then again I usually add a systemic mix every 3 months to my watering regime.
Knock on wood ](*,)
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Like Mike said, scale on succulents are treated the same way as you would on cacti. Here's a little presentation I posted sometime back -- everything you wanted to know about cactus pests but were afraid to ask:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=42129

My presentation is geared toward an American audience, so I don't know if you're allowed to buy Imidacloprid or another neonicotinoid in Australia. If you are, I believe that you'll be looking for Thiocloprid. I honestly don't know if your wife's succulents are growing or dormant now, but if they're in growth and you can give them a soil soak, it should solve the scale problem.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Just a quick update and Thank You, as her plants are in much better shape, thanks to trying all of your suggestions.