Will my saguaro grow appreciably faster than a wild one?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Download

Will my saguaro grow appreciably faster than a wild one?

Post by Download »

I paid A$60 for a saguaro with huge spines and a body about the size of a large orange in December.

I know in the wild the growth rate is ridiculously slow (like a foot a decade sort of rate), but is the growth rate appreciably faster in cultivation? I live in South Australia (think southern coastal California in terms of weather), so I have plenty of summer sun. I figured with good water and plenty of fertiliser I can expect some faster growth, but how much?
Shane

Re: Will my saguaro grow appreciably faster than a wild one?

Post by Shane »

I'll note first: in the wild, a Saguaro grows an inch in the first 10 years. So you're already starting out quite a bit ahead

Saguaro growth in the wild varies with conditions. Saguaro national park notes:
Here at Saguaro National Park, branches normally begin to appear when a saguaro reaches 50 to 70 years of age. In areas of lower precipitation, it may take up to 100 years before arms appear
So somewhere between a little faster and a lot faster in cultivation depending on your point of reference. Hopefully this helps at least a little
Los Angeles, California (USA)
Zone 10b (yearly minimum temperature 1-5° C)

Fishhook cacti are like cats, they only like to be petted in one direction
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

With regular watering they grow somewhat faster, but they're never really fast.
Spence :mrgreen:
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

When I bought my Saguaro the seller suggested that I fertilize like every other watering and the cactus would grow faster. This method worked for me.
keith

Post by keith »

I think if planted in the ground and watered regularly it will grow faster. I have 2 in pots that hardly grow at all.
ThiccCactassCakes

Post by ThiccCactassCakes »

My mom grew one outside as a kid, I remember getting it and it was about 1-2 feet high? Well she planted it in a brick garden bed, watered it regularly (we lived in South Texas) and it grew rapidly. We had it for 15 years before a hurricane destroyed it, but it grew taller than our house, so 15-20 feet high in 15 years.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Plants in pots are Bonsai'd compared to plants with free root run in open ground. That may affect gross feeding tall Cereus types more than globular ones. If in open ground, as said above, plus treated as a cultivated plant they should grow faster than those in habitat which are subjected to the vagaries of the climate since nobody waters or fertilizes them regularly there.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I started one from seed ten years ago. It's about a foot tall now. Hang in there!