Dusty areoles. Is it normal or a disease?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
cengo

Dusty areoles. Is it normal or a disease?

Post by cengo »

What is this dust on areoles especialy on top areoles? Plant is hard and looks healty.
Attachments
20210502_131317.jpg
20210502_131317.jpg (148.06 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
Mrs.Green

Re: Dusty areoles. Is it normal or a disease?

Post by Mrs.Green »

How big is this cactus really? My first thought was spidermites but trying to enlarge the picture, I can’t see any or very little ‘dust’ in the deeper , light green crevices? Does this dust comes off when touching it or is it stuck on the plant?
cengo

Post by cengo »

It's 10cm high. The dust comes from areoles I think (firstly at the top) . And when I brush it, some of the dust flies away, but not all. White thinks that you see still remains. It was like this when I first bought it. No part of the plant seems to be soft or moldy, infact it's quite hard.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

First of all, you might want to do this:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=43819

Dust isn't a problem, but your photo is showing what appears to be a touch of sun-scorch around the growth point. If that's the case and the plant went from light shade or filtered sun immediately into full sun, you'll need to gradually acclimate it to full sun. Assuming that you live in the northern hemisphere, now would be a good time for acclimation before the heat of summer kicks in.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
cengo

Post by cengo »

First, I live in Ankara, Turkey (yes, in the northern hemisphere), and yes, I don't think the dust is not a sign of disease. Because it shares same pot with a pachanoi, and there is no sign of infection on it (no dust or sth. else) Thanks for your interest, I'll try your suggestion.