Mammilaria prolifera seed pods

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Hero878

Mammilaria prolifera seed pods

Post by Hero878 »

Hi all
I got a Mammilaria Prolifera and was wondering if I need to do anything for it to continue growing these red seed pods? Like do I need to cross pollinate the flowers that are currently in bloom?

Also since they look nice would it affect the growth of the cactus if I just left them in? Or should I pull them all out?

Also anyone know why it's also known as the Texas nipple cactus? I know nipple is named on a lot of Mammilarias but why Texas?
Thank you

greenknight

Re: Mammilaria prolifera seed pods

Post by greenknight »

This is just what they do, you don't need to do anything special - just normal cactus culture. The fruits develop quite a while after the flowers shrivel up, so it may look like they didn't set fruit - then, seemingly out of nowhere, fruits appear. No reason to remove them unless you want to collect seed, or eat some - they're edible, taste like strawberries. Supposed to be very tasty, but I could never bring myself to sacrifice any to verify that.

Texas is one of the places this species is found - but it has a wide range including much of Mexico and the Caribbean.
Spence :mrgreen:
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Thank you! That's very useful to know. I'll give one a taste later haha and leave the rest in until they start to rot.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Never taste fruits off any of our plants when you have used systemic insecticides or contact ones and fungicides on them though since it can take quite a time to wear off..
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

DaveW wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:04 pm Never taste fruits off any of our plants when you have used systemic insecticides or contact ones and fungicides on them though since it can take quite a time to wear off..
Thanks that's a good point. I better not eat it as I don't know what the cactus has been treated with.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I tried a fruit that fell off one of my prolifera. It was pretty bland and slightly sour. I might have to sample a few more and see if there's any strawbs to be found.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

My son loves to eat Mammillaria prolifera fruits. He has tried other species but said that only those from prolifera are good tasting.
Since they are very "proliferas", I let him eat them, it's part of the fun.

You don't need to cross pollinate them . They will produce lots of fruits even if you don't do anything.
Download

Post by Download »

toadstar wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:00 pm I tried a fruit that fell off one of my prolifera. It was pretty bland and slightly sour. I might have to sample a few more and see if there's any strawbs to be found.
I ate some off mine last year. I found them tangy. I would have eaten more if I didn't mangle them getting the seeds out.