Young cacti dying

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
rocksteady

Young cacti dying

Post by rocksteady »

Hello,
I planted some cacti seeds 1,5 years ago and now I have many small cacti, however most of them are dying and I couldn't find why. Maybe you could help?
Most of them started getting some light brown spots that gradually increased in size and some even developed dark brown spots. During the summer I water them once a week and I can see that the soil gets dry in approximately one day.
I live in Latvia and the cacti have been growing near the window. We don't get huge amounts of sun, but the days are long during summer. I also tried using artificial lights for some time and it didn't seem to improve the situation.
Attachments
IMG_2911.jpg
IMG_2911.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 819 times
IMG_2912.jpg
IMG_2912.jpg (79.1 KiB) Viewed 819 times
IMG_2913.jpg
IMG_2913.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 819 times
7george

Re: Young cacti dying

Post by 7george »

I mentioned two things on photos up there: 1) these seedlings might be infested by spider-mites, so inspect and treat somehow;
2) the soil looks too much organic for me even this doesn't look as the main problem.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
abhikjha

Re: Young cacti dying

Post by abhikjha »

Three things - 1. Spider mites, 2. Etiolation as they are tilted to one side 3. Soil.

I grow in pure pumice and water only when it's hot and sunny which is most of the days in India except in rainy season. 😀
Tropical weather, no winters! :roll: