Was this me?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Neiluj

Was this me?

Post by Neiluj »

I recently bought a few Astrophytum Myriostigmas (about a week and a half ago I'd say) and this morning I noticed strange brown spots around the baseline of one of the plants.
Astro1.jpg
Astro1.jpg (185.99 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Sadly, going to touch it, it was slightly mushy and smelled...very distinct. I unearthed it...and wow. Look at this root system (or lack thereof):
Astro2.jpg
Astro2.jpg (76.03 KiB) Viewed 943 times
I cut the plant in half in hopes of saving the top half, but alas, it was not to be:
Astro3.jpg
Astro3.jpg (71.5 KiB) Viewed 943 times
So my question in all this...could this happen in the week and a half that I had it? This plant was kept in a greenhouse prior to me purchasing it, and upon bringing it home, I placed it on a west-facing windowsill. It was dry when I bought it, and I've not watered it once since owning it. My thoughts are that the intense heat here (34C/93F) might have led to the rot spreading a little quicker, but I really want to believe that this plant was already on its way to being this way prior to be getting it.

If you're wondering why this is something I'm looking to answer, part of it is because I have this plant's twin which was purchased at the same time and it also seems to have brown stains around the base (no smells or mushyness, thankfully!). I want to make sure this plant doesn't meet the same fate as the first one.

(Also, it would make me feel better to know this plant's demise wasn't on my hands :wink: )
Astro4.jpg
Astro4.jpg (101.89 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Astro5.jpg
Astro5.jpg (75.23 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Zone 5a
MikeInOz

Re: Was this me?

Post by MikeInOz »

It's headed in the same direction. Dry it out upside down for a few days and re-plant in a gritty mix.... You might want to cut into that brown area to see it it is internal. If it is you will want to cut out to clean tissue dust with sulphur or calcium hydroxide or copper oxychloride, and dry it for much longer (one month) before replanting. Autumn is not the best time for this operation, but if you have a hot bright and airy spot, you might get away with it...
Neiluj

Re: Was this me?

Post by Neiluj »

Thanks for the advice. Here's hoping it survives....
Zone 5a