Shriveled up tephrocactus geometricus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
cerclerouge

Shriveled up tephrocactus geometricus

Post by cerclerouge »

Hi,

I imported two nice tephrocactus geometricus'. They were stuck in customs for over 4 weeks. They looked fine out of the box, and then a few weeks after potting them, I noticed all the globes were shriveling it up. I upped the watering scheduling (about once per week now, soaking the entire pot below the top of the substrate), but they keep on shriveling up. I really want to save these guys. What's the most frequently I can be watering these things? What else am I missing?
Attachments
cb61b29a-7c98-425f-8d6d-5eb6f469421b.jpg
cb61b29a-7c98-425f-8d6d-5eb6f469421b.jpg (108.46 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
Aiko

Re: Shriveled up tephrocactus geometricus

Post by Aiko »

If they don't take up water, you sure should not increase the watering! That is the one thing not to do with cacti!

I don't know where you keep these and how much sun you give them. Maybe they are far too hot, especially at night, and they are forced in some summer dormancy? Do they still have roots, are they physically able to take up water at all?

When in doubt to water them, let them be dry for a long while just to be sure. They can take a long drought and not much bad can be done by not watering them. They might be more willing to take up some water again after a while. Assuming there is nothing else specific going on they don't like, of course. I can't judge very well from here what might be going on.
cerclerouge

Post by cerclerouge »

Thanks for the reply. I was barely watering it much at all, every couple of weeks only. I watered it a few days ago and then again today, I let it soak up to the soil line. It looked worse today (before I watered) than it has in the past, which I why I watered again. Everything I google about this says it’s due to lack of water. They are under growlights indoors for 13 hours per day. Probably mid to high 80s.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Hi cerclerouge,

In case of doubt, don't water and maybe carefully check the roots? Or did you repot them recently?
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Is that soil pure grit ? Looks rather coarse too. If the Tephro is supposed to reroot after you received it, I don't think any fresh roots can take up water at all in that soil, they'd be just hanging there in the air. You might wanna dig it up and see if it has any roots at all before taking measures.
cerclerouge

Post by cerclerouge »

Yes, the soil is basically all grit. Maybe I'll unpot them, check the roots, and repot them with some more soil mixed in. If I do everything right, should I expect to see the globes plump up rather quick? Thanks!
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

cerclerouge wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:32 am Yes, the soil is basically all grit. Maybe I'll unpot them, check the roots, and repot them with some more soil mixed in. If I do everything right, should I expect to see the globes plump up rather quick? Thanks!
Another question : was the tephro rooted when you got it, or not ? If not then yes, better to use some perlite in there or fine pumice, or cat litter as is described in following link. Also it says that tephros root best from the areoles, so some put the segments on the side, or bury them half down. Also says they don't need water untuil they are rooted, but some moisture would be OK.
No idea how fast they will plump up, depends on the success ;)
https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37661
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

My Tephros look happy now that spring has arrived in the southern hemisphere. They were shriveled due to a dry period of 90 days without water (winter). All they are plumping and puting new segments.
They seem to like a little bit of soil and sand in the mix. Their mixes has ¼ of soil, the other ¾ are gravel, charcoal and cat lit. (Sand enters in the ¼ of soil, lets say ¾ soil ¼ sand). If you change the mix, consider adding a little of sand soil.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Usually in winter Tephros will start to dehydrates, as they will stop taking in as much water.