Capricorne guy in trouble

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Astrophyto

Capricorne guy in trouble

Post by Astrophyto »

This guy has very bad look; he was in the same pot with a brother. This year y decided to separate them, because the brother was flowering regularly and growing, but this one not.

Once I did, the roots seems fine but since then,the color began to change to this violet, and many spots as you can see sprouted.

I've treat it twice with Fosetil, but apparently with no luck.

On the other hand, new spines are growing (see the top) and some green it is appearing like new growing..

Any help or idea what's happening to this poor guy? Thank you
Attachments
IMG_20230405_135939.jpg
IMG_20230405_135939.jpg (86.06 KiB) Viewed 718 times
IMG_20230405_135950.jpg
IMG_20230405_135950.jpg (83.49 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Aiko

Re: Capricorne guy in trouble

Post by Aiko »

For now I would think it is suffering from heat or light stress. But it in a more shaded spot and see if it does better in the coming months.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

No wonder if it planted in rocks only. Even in my soft wet climate I use mixture with turf compost, sand and ... cat litter which can hold water longer. Growing in dry hot climate needs more water-holding substrate. IMHO. When this guy will not be thursty it would stay direct sun much better and red will turn into green.
Astrophyto

Post by Astrophyto »

anttisepp wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:09 am No wonder if it planted in rocks only. Even in my soft wet climate I use mixture with turf compost, sand and ... cat litter which can hold water longer. Growing in dry hot climate needs more water-holding substrate. IMHO. When this guy will not be thursty it would stay direct sun much better and red will turn into green.
Thanks, it is planted in my regular mix with soil, perlite,vermiculite and small stones...

But my big concern it is not the pinky colour but the white and orange spots on the base... Shouldn't I be worried about that?

Thank you.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I sure it's A. senile, more sun tender than capricorne. That scars are probably old (sunburns?) and I shouldn't care much about. If amount or size grows then it's wise to treat by fungicide again.