Are these clover mites?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
MrXeric

Are these clover mites?

Post by MrXeric »

Found several of these wandering about my plant trays the other day. For reference, the rims of the trays are around 1/8'' or just over 3mm thick.

They move rather fast for their size and they seem to use their two front legs like antennae (thought they were an insect at first, but on closer inspection they look like arachnids/mites). Googling around I found the name "clover mite", but I've never seen these around here before (or perhaps I didn't pay attention before), so I would like some confirmation if possible.

As far as I could tell, they weren't actually on the plants themselves, but on the rims of the pots.

Reading here on the forum and elsewhere on the internet, it seems these prefer leafy plants to feed on rather than cacti, but any insight or experience dealing with these would help!
FredBW

Re: Are these clover mites?

Post by FredBW »

They look to me like wood ticks. I had never heard of clover mites till now. But the pictures I have seen googling looks like most are red. And now after reading about them,I believe I have seen them,and thought they were Chiggers. From everything I have now seen and read I don't believe clover mites get near as big as what you have.
I honestly believe those are baby ticks.
keith

Post by keith »

I think they are predatory mites they will eat spider mites. Not a bad thing
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

FredBW wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:47 am They look to me like wood ticks. I had never heard of clover mites till now. But the pictures I have seen googling looks like most are red. And now after reading about them,I believe I have seen them,and thought they were Chiggers. From everything I have now seen and read I don't believe clover mites get near as big as what you have.
I honestly believe those are baby ticks.
Really hope they are not ticks! The fact that searching "clover mites" on the internet brings up both red and brown mites was what was confusing me. After looking through some university publications, I am thinking these are indeed clover mites, Bryobia praetiosa. Or at the very least, the images and descriptions they have on these really resemble my bugs. The really long front legs seem to be the main identifying characteristic. As far as I can tell the red mites that show up on the internet could be chiggers or something else called "concrete mites".
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

keith wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:54 pm I think they are predatory mites they will eat spider mites. Not a bad thing
After searching on the internet some more I am more convinced that these are clover mites, Bryobia praetiosa, which do feed on plants. As far as I could tell they are not interested in my cacti plants, probably feeding on the nearby lawn. Either way I have let them be for now and I am just watching my plants closely for any damage or infestation.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

MrXeric wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:02 am After searching on the internet some more I am more convinced that these are clover mites, Bryobia praetiosa, which do feed on plants. As far as I could tell they are not interested in my cacti plants, probably feeding on the nearby lawn. Either way I have let them be for now and I am just watching my plants closely for any damage or infestation.
I seriously doubt you have baby ticks, and clover mites are more likely. From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryobia_praetiosa

Based on that article, it's a safe bet that they won't go after cacti or succulents.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:23 am
MrXeric wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:02 am After searching on the internet some more I am more convinced that these are clover mites, Bryobia praetiosa, which do feed on plants. As far as I could tell they are not interested in my cacti plants, probably feeding on the nearby lawn. Either way I have let them be for now and I am just watching my plants closely for any damage or infestation.
I seriously doubt you have baby ticks, and clover mites are more likely. From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryobia_praetiosa

Based on that article, it's a safe bet that they won't go after cacti or succulents.
Thanks for the affirmation Steve!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:26 pmThanks for the affirmation Steve!
You're welcome! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)