Ariocarpus. Slow growth on Pereskiopsis

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Cameronb

Ariocarpus. Slow growth on Pereskiopsis

Post by Cameronb »

I can grow a loph the size of a ping pong ball on Pereskiopsis in basically a season. I have been growing Ariocarpus for 2 years and with a couple of exceptions all my arios are tiny. Some stall completely. I have no issues with turbinicarpus, copiapoa or any other cactus. I understand they grow slow, but I feel like mine are slower than usual. Any tips? I can include pics if needed. I have them in 3.5in pots, under growlights, I fertilize as I should. Use quality soil. 😔
Hanazono

Re: Ariocarpus. Slow growth on Pereskiopsis

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Cameronb,
I have been growing Ariocarpus for 2 years and with a couple of exceptions all my arios are tiny. Some stall completely. I have no issues with turbinicarpus, copiapoa or any other cactus. I understand they grow slow, but I feel like mine are slower than usual. Any tips? I can include pics if needed. I have them in 3.5in pots, under growlights, I fertilize as I should. Use quality soil.
Although own-rooted ariocarpus species grow slowly but grafted ones onto Pereskiopsis stocks grow quite quickly. It depends upon exact species of ariocarpus but if you grafted very young seedling in early spring, the scion will be in flower in autumn same year, 9 month later after the grafting.

I think "a couple of exception" are normal and all others are some problem of the grafting.
Scions grafted on Pereskiopsis can not expect a good growing after 2 yeras and so you can not have so much hope for slow growing scions.

Please show photos of a slow growing scion and an exceptional growing one.
Where do you live in ? I have never used any growlights for grafted cacti. I use natural sunlight but Pereskiopsis likes soft sunlight and so they are covered by 50% shade cloth.
I use 9 cm square pot which similar to your pot size but pot depth is 18 cm.

Frank
Cameronb

Post by Cameronb »

It won’t let me upload them from my phone. Files too large :idea:
Aztekium123

Post by Aztekium123 »

The plants of this genus are also divided into different varieties. I have raised 7 varieties, mainly through sowing. Like the Agavoides it grows relatively quickly。But,Fissuratus, they grow very slowly, and kotschoubeyanus can be considered as the middle speed. I mean the time from sowing to flowering.
7george

Post by 7george »

Seedlings of one batch can be very different. Maybe you picked the smallest or the slowest so do not expect miracles.
What are your temps? Growing during winter? How many leaves that Pereskiopsis keeps?
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Cameronb

Post by Cameronb »

Thank you for all the answers! My Pereskiopsis seem to keep leaves for a year or so and slowly drop them. My temps range from 60-95 degrees indoors with plenty of airflow. Many of my grafted arios are hybrids. Retsus seem to the the only “speedy” ones of the bunch (happens to be my least favorite lol). I do fertilize heavy.

I would love to move my arios outdoors but for whatever reason grasshoppers love to munch on them.

I am experimenting with selenicereus testudo and grandiflorus for micrografting. I need figure out how to post pics on here from my phone. Some completely stall.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Use https://picresize.com/ to reduce your photo size. Can't help you with a smartphone though. I only use a desktop.

Also, it would help if you let us know where you live. Members are all over the world.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Cameronb

Post by Cameronb »

Working on it. Hopefully I will dump a bunch of pics tomorrow. I live on Lake Fork about 70 miles east of Dallas