My cactus is dying, please help

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
danieleatscookies

My cactus is dying, please help

Post by danieleatscookies »

Hey so, i have had my cactus for around a year, and it was fine until it was a bit cold in my room for about 3 days, and now my cactus has been showing me bad signs for 2 days, there also isn't to much sun in my room but there hasn't ever been so i don't think that's the primary issue. Anyway what can I do to help my cactus recover?
And if i need to move it, where should I move it
Also here is the sunlight condition
IMG_20230527_144825.jpg
IMG_20230527_144825.jpg (81.9 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
the curtains are also sometimes closed, i know it's probably bad, but this was supposed to be a temporary place for the cactus
Attachments
IMG_20230527_143650-min (1).jpg
IMG_20230527_143650-min (1).jpg (125.58 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
IMG_20230527_143642-min (1).jpg
IMG_20230527_143642-min (1).jpg (88.54 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
IMG_20230527_143638-min (1).jpg
IMG_20230527_143638-min (1).jpg (87.65 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
IMG_20230527_143630-min (1).jpg
IMG_20230527_143630-min (1).jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Here you can see the floppiness of the bottom of the cactus
Here you can see the floppiness of the bottom of the cactus
IMG_20230527_143623-min (1).jpg (97.82 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
IMG_20230527_143619-min (1).jpg
IMG_20230527_143619-min (1).jpg (85.2 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
FredBW

Re: My cactus is dying, please help

Post by FredBW »

Looks like it's rotting. The only thing to do is get a sharp knife. Sterilize it with alcohol.and cut off the bottom rotten part. Go at least an inch or two above the bad part. You want to be sure to cut off all of the rot. Sprinkle the wound with Sulfur.. If Sulfur is unavailable,Cinnamon will help,but Sulfur is what you want.. Let the wound dry out until it calluses over,and plant it in cactus soil and hope it roots. keep it out of direct sunlight until you are sure it has rooted (which will take a looonnnnggg time) Where you have it now the light will probably be fine. But higher temps will help.
You don't say where you are. Knowing if it's spring or summer where you live will make a difference. If it's spring I would get it in soil as soon as it calluses. With only dribbles of water. If it's fall I would probably leave it out of soil and light for the next few months.
danieleatscookies

I live in Norway, i don't se why it should suddenly rot, although i wouldn't know cuz i don't know a lot about cacti. I also don't water it that often. But should i also cut of the brown parts around the thorns aswell?
And where is there no longer rot, is it like at the base or all the way up where there is no longer that light green color?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

The cut surface will tell you where the rot ends. Keep cutting till there is absolutely no sign of brown/black and all green. Clean the knife every cut.

You need more light if you want long term success. Without it, any new growth will be elongated and weak. No other windows? Otherwise get a very bright plant light.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
danieleatscookies

Ok i will try, i have rooms in my house with way bigger windows, but for now i will try to cut it. So if i understand right, i should cut it, put cinnamon on the cut part, and leave it in the dark for a month before i put it on wet soil, right?
Also should i cut away the brown parts around the thorns?
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

danieleatscookies wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:34 pm Ok i will try, i have rooms in my house with way bigger windows, but for now i will try to cut it. So if i understand right, i should cut it, put cinnamon on the cut part, and leave it in the dark for a month before i put it on wet soil, right?
There are those that will say cinnamon is useless. Sulfur is what you really want. Only use cinnamon if there is no way to get Sulfur. I am of the camp that cinnamon wont hurt and helps to dry out faster. And no absolutely do not put it in wet soil. Moisture does no good until it gets roots. I like to use a turkey baster for watering cactus,and would only dribble a little on the soil to maybe mimic dew maybe a couple times a month. I wouldn't necessarily leave it in the dark either. Just don't put it in direct sunlight. I am not seeing the brown spots around the thorns,so i don't know what to tell you there.
danieleatscookies

FredBW wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:53 pm
danieleatscookies wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:34 pm Ok i will try, i have rooms in my house with way bigger windows, but for now i will try to cut it. So if i understand right, i should cut it, put cinnamon on the cut part, and leave it in the dark for a month before i put it on wet soil, right?
There are those that will say cinnamon is useless. Sulfur is what you really want. Only use cinnamon if there is no way to get Sulfur. I am of the camp that cinnamon wont hurt and helps to dry out faster. And no absolutely do not put it in wet soil. Moisture does no good until it gets roots. I like to use a turkey baster for watering cactus,and would only dribble a little on the soil to maybe mimic dew maybe a couple times a month. I wouldn't necessarily leave it in the dark either. Just don't put it in direct sunlight. I am not seeing the brown spots around the thorns,so i don't know what to tell you there.

Ok i see, i cut it now, what i mean about the dark spots are these, as you can see, only some of the thorns have them
IMG_20230527_143630-min (1).jpg
IMG_20230527_143630-min (1).jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
and i tried getting sulfur but was unsuccessful, am not able to get it sooner than a months time.

Also should i just keep it laying on the sides and not touch it until it roots?

Also look what happened after it has been laying on the thorns with the dark spots, it got squished there, and i accidentally pulled out a thorn from the dark spots quite easily
IMG_20230527_191712.jpg
IMG_20230527_191712.jpg (81.83 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Attachments
IMG_20230527_191121.jpg
IMG_20230527_191121.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

The dark spines don't look promising. But i think you have done all you can do.
It is my experience rot travels up the center and while i hate to be blunt, if that is the case I don't believe there is any stopping it.
Last edited by FredBW on Sat May 27, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danieleatscookies

FredBW wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:34 pm Looks like you did all you could do. If you cut all the brown spines off you would no doubt kill it. My experience is rot travels up the center,and if it's really out to the spines there isn't anything you can do. But for now just leave it on it's side until it forms a callous. (something like a scab) Which will take several weeks. You might turn it every week or two. If all goes well (no more rotting). Then you can put it in some dry cactus soil and hope it roots. It takes a lot of time.
I did something similar last fall,and my cactus lost the battle. It looks like you cut plenty off,which is a good thing. I wish you the best.
Thanks, i will hope for the best. Last question is should i just not water it at all untill it sprouts some roots? Or do i give it a sprinkle once a month or something?
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Sorry I put up that last post without seeing the picture with the brown spines.
But whatever you do don't water it. Cactus go for months without water,and water or even humidity is the last thing your cactus needs.
danieleatscookies

FredBW wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:43 pm Sorry I put up that last post without seeing the picture with the brown spines.
But whatever you do don't water it. Cactus go for months without water,and water or even humidity is the last thing your cactus needs.
Ok I'll only water it once it roots,. So are you sure now after seeing the image that i shouldn't cut away the brown ones, cuz there's only like 11 of them and only on one side, or should I wait a day mby to see if it spreads?
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

I would leave it alone myself. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will respond. But i feel the brown spines are more a symptom and not the disease,and the infection on the spines probably came from the stem. Which is not promising. I'm afraid you will have to just keep cutting and cutting.
danieleatscookies

FredBW wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:18 pm I would leave it alone myself. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will respond. But i feel the brown spines are more a symptom and not the disease,and the infection on the spines probably came from the stem. Which is not promising. I'm afraid you will have to just keep cutting and cutting.
Well yeah after looking down through the center, there's a little gap and it doesn't look to solid in there, but i mean I'll just leave it ig and see what happens. If it doesn't work i guess I'll have to buy a new cactus more suited for the Norwegian habitat. Thanks for the help
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Mrs. Green, teo, and Anttisepp are Scandinavian and post pretty regularly. Mrs. Green has a Blog post of her windowsill cacti growing. Might give you some tips.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
danieleatscookies

jerrytheplater wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:26 pm Mrs. Green, teo, and Anttisepp are Scandinavian and post pretty regularly. Mrs. Green has a Blog post of her windowsill cacti growing. Might give you some tips.
Ohh cool, I'll definitely check em out. I really love cacti and they are my favorite plant, so it's kinda sad that i am limited by climate, but oh well something Is still better than nothing. Thanks for the tip