Echinocactus? Not doing well?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
NCRAS

Echinocactus? Not doing well?

Post by NCRAS »

I have about 8 of these cacti in different places and this one seems to have an issue. It's not as vibrant as the others. Ideas? I have provided a third photo of one that looks like all of the others I have. The bottom photo with the flowers is from May 7, 2022. I have had a few flowers in 2023 and as you can see, more are on the way. Guessing that it is an odd year due to the significant amount of rain and cool weather this year. Thank you in advance.
Echinocactus1.jpeg
Echinocactus1.jpeg (69.12 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Echinocactus2.jpeg
Echinocactus2.jpeg (88.82 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Attachments
Echinocactus3 Medium.jpeg
Echinocactus3 Medium.jpeg (120.11 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Echinocactus4 Medium.jpeg
Echinocactus4 Medium.jpeg (126.51 KiB) Viewed 788 times
Still trying to figure out what I want to do.
greenknight

Re: Echinocactus? Not doing well?

Post by greenknight »

Look like Echinopsis hybrids to me.
Spence :mrgreen:
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

NCRAS wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:52 amGuessing that it is an odd year due to the significant amount of rain and cool weather this year.
Yeah, we had the same problem in SoCal -- disappointingly cool spring, although a nice start on summer. Finally.

First of all, I agree with Spence -- you have Echinopsis hybrids. Not sure about what you can do with the ones in the ground, but the Echinopsis in the pot is showing signs of nutrient deficiency, so you can correct that with a good fertilizer. If you're up for it, try this:

viewtopic.php?t=47603

I grow 64 of my 68 cacti in a hydroponic pumice and granite gravel mix, so I have to fertilize every time I water in the growing season. Since your potted Echinopsis is in a soil-based mix, you can fertilize with every 3rd or 4th watering. By the way, yellowing of the skin is chlorosis, so you may want to fertilize with every other watering until the plant shows a nice healthy green skin color. Yours isn't that bad yet (I've seen worse), but it's best if you start fertilizing while you have plenty of summer left.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
NCRAS

Post by NCRAS »

Thank you Spence & Steve! I appreciate the ID and the reminder to fertilize. I will check out the link you provided. Thanks again!
Still trying to figure out what I want to do.