I'm beginning to worry about my cutting

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
loyall

I'm beginning to worry about my cutting

Post by loyall »

I had a Parodia mammulosa that was growing well, about six inches tall but wider at the top than the bottom of the stem. I decided to take a risk and top cut it to see if I could create a more aesthetic specimen. I took a three inch top cut, three inches in diameter using a sterile blade, and then slightly beveled the cutting. I let it dry and callus for a week. I then set the callused cutting on top of a fresh pot of soil mix, and placed it in bright indirect light. Absolutely no water. After four weeks I lifted the cutting to check for roots. Callus looked good, white, no black mildew, no roots, replaced the cutting. After six weeks I lifted the cutting, callus looked good, white, no black mildew, no roots. After eight weeks I lifted the cutting, callus still looked good, white, no black mildew, no roots. It has been eight weeks today, and I am beginning to worry. The cutting appears to me as it did when I cut it, not shrunk or desiccated. Advice? Suggestions?
greenknight

Re: I'm beginning to worry about my cutting

Post by greenknight »

Have patience, sometimes it can take a long time.
Spence :mrgreen:
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

I had Pterocactus cuttings which took 5 months to root. As long as your cutting is not shrinking, you're good.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

A few weeks is nothing. Growing succulents is about patience. Waiting for a succulent to root is just one reason of multiple reasons regarding patience. They are slow plants compared to other plants.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Aiko wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:06 pm A few weeks is nothing. Growing succulents is about patience. Waiting for a succulent to root is just one reason of multiple reasons regarding patience. They are slow plants compared to other plants.
Not to mention the fact that one reason a succulent plant, exists, is because most of them appear to be "pre-programmed" to not waste precious internal resources, on too little rain or dew.
loyall

Post by loyall »

Update. 10 weeks, still no roots.
P mamm cutting_20230729_02.jpg
P mamm cutting_20230729_02.jpg (106.64 KiB) Viewed 3813 times
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

But it still looks great. Keep on waiting.

I've rooted cuttings where I didn't even use any kind of potting mixture. I kept the cutting on a rack in an upright position in a bright place. I could pick up the cutting at will and look at the underside. As soon as I saw the littlest nubbins of roots coming out of the central ring of the callous, I potted the plant in a pot. That way your curiosity, trepidation, impatience, etc.... can be satisfied!!!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
loyall

Post by loyall »

Thanks Jerry. I don't mind picking it up, though I have to mind the spines. I'm disciplining myself to checking at two week intervals. I'll keep you posted. Remember, I had an excellent outcome with my M. microhelia. Nine weeks to start roots.
loyall

Post by loyall »

Good news update. Today is 12 weeks since I made the topcut, and this morning I observed about a half dozen eighth inch(3mm) roots coming from what I believe is called the vascular cambium (the distinctive circle in the center of the stem). I celebrated by gifting the plant a small amount of water, the first since the surgery.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

loyall wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:43 pm Good news update. Today is 12 weeks since I made the topcut, and this morning I observed about a half dozen eighth inch(3mm) roots coming from what I believe is called the vascular cambium (the distinctive circle in the center of the stem). I celebrated by gifting the plant a small amount of water, the first since the surgery.
👍
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Great news! Patience paid off.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

:occasion7: Great!
Spence :mrgreen: