Desiccation ?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Re: Desiccation ?

Post by Minnesota »

keith wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:07 am I would re-pot something could be wrong with the soil . One clue the others at the store are also dying.
I agree. It will also offer the opportunity to thoroughly clean and examine the adopted child from top to bottom, treating any suspected issues, Fred. You're always one for a challenge, coming up with solutions where none seem available. It would be good to know that you're starting from a set of knowns--your soil, your treatments, your conditions.

Oh, and I like the pack of pups. :lol:
Last edited by Minnesota on Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

MikeInOz wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:38 pmI throw away lots of plants every year. Any which are disfigured and I don't like the look of. Any runts and scrawny seedlings, any mother plant that has declined and I can re-start from a pup, any plant that has damage that I will have to look at for years on end, any plant that I have too many of and cannot get rid of, any plant that has severe corkiness developing at the base and is not worth re-starting due to it commonality.
After all that I still don't have enough room.
Sounds like you have a massive operation -- is it a full-on nursery? And if you wouldn't mind me asking, just how big is your growing space in terms of square footage (or meters as the case may be since you live in Australia)?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Steve Johnson wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:24 amSounds like you have a massive operation -- is it a full-on nursery? And if you wouldn't mind me asking, just how big is your growing space in terms of square footage (or meters as the case may be since you live in Australia)?
Not massive but commercial size. My growing area is 6 meters x 30 meters and I guess there are 1000 plants. I haven't counted.
I used to be in the nursery trade but now I'm just doing this as a hobby and to make some extra cash on ebay. But its amazing how much space a compot of 30 seedlings takes up when they all go into 4 inch pots! There is no room for ''off'' plants.