Mail order melocactus soft

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Kmandarino
Location: Dwight, Il. In farm country. Very windy during the day, always dew overnight.

Mail order melocactus soft

Post by Kmandarino »

Hello! I purchased a melocactus on Etsy a week ago. I cleaned the roots of all the existing dirt and allowed it to dry out well for 24 hours. I then potted it up in a sharply draining mix. I have not watered it yet. It is wrinkled, it was wrinkly when i got it. However tonight I used my new favorite cactus tool, a stainless steel 15" chop stick, to press on it. The lower 1/2 is soft, not squishy or mushy, but i can definitely depress it. Its not rock hard like the rest of my melo's. Theres no sign of discoloration. Just wondering if it's got to be rot or if it's possible that a cactus that's in need of hydration will get soft. If I had the slightest clue how to post a video, I would, but, I don't have a clue! Suggestions/comments most welcome! Thanks!
Attachments
20230814_202514_copy_527x1128.jpg
20230814_202514_copy_527x1128.jpg (87.38 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
jerrytheplater

Re: Mail order melocactus soft

Post by jerrytheplater »

I can't address your most important questions about your cactus, but I can suggest you upload your video to a YouTube account and provide a link in a post here. I suppose there are other sites you can upload videos, but I don't know them.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Normal usual a bit dehydrated melocactus. Sellers often hold plants dry to prevent growth in the dark during posting. Melocacti like water, fertilizers and warm overwintering. Sorry didn't understand what tool do you use and what for.
Kmandarino
Location: Dwight, Il. In farm country. Very windy during the day, always dew overnight.

Post by Kmandarino »

Thanks for the video instructions Jerry. Here it is....
https://youtube.com/shorts/5jZo1lVU_jQ?feature=share
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Thanks god melo- has thick skin but if you'll do it with e.g. mammillaria or rebutia you'll go through soft tissue. Dehydrated one. Give water 1 week after planting. Do not let soil dry in warm season.
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Agree, probably just dehydrated. Still gotta wait a week or so after potting for any damaged roots to heal over before watering.

Nice looking cactus!
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
Kmandarino

Post by Kmandarino »

Well that's a big relief! I have purchased 13 in the past month with no prior experience with them. I have been reading up on them endlessly and encountered some contradictions in how to care for them. I'd rather underwater then overwater and I WAS going to wait 3 weeks before introducing small amounts of water to the mix but now, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to wait that long. I'd did give this one a small drink this morning, deciding that if it is the beginning of rot, it's going to die anyways, but if it IS just thirst, maybe it can bounce back. Wonder if I should give the new ones their first sip at the first sign of wrinkles or just start after a week or two regardless of any signs of dehydration.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Kmandarino wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:53 pm Well that's a big relief! I have purchased 13 in the past month with no prior experience with them. I have been reading up on them endlessly and encountered some contradictions in how to care for them. I'd rather underwater then overwater and I WAS going to wait 3 weeks before introducing small amounts of water to the mix but now, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to wait that long. I'd did give this one a small drink this morning, deciding that if it is the beginning of rot, it's going to die anyways, but if it IS just thirst, maybe it can bounce back. Wonder if I should give the new ones their first sip at the first sign of wrinkles or just start after a week or two regardless of any signs of dehydration.
In general it's always best to wait until noticeable shrinkage occurs for any newly potted succulent plant. Remember most succulent plants are killed through "kindness" (over watering)!