How to ship seedlings only an inch?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
keithp2012

How to ship seedlings only an inch?

Post by keithp2012 »

How would you ship cacti seedlings only an inch big? Next year I’ll have over 200 seedlings I can’t keep but nobody local wants them.
If left in soil shipped they’ll just be buried or squished. Do you gently remove them and ship in a plastic container with a lid? Would they do ok?
keith

Re: How to ship seedlings only an inch?

Post by keith »

Bare root the seedlings and wrap them in soft paper and put in a box and fill all empty space in the box with paper or foam pellets whatever is light.

If the box weights more than 10 Oz and you use stamps it will be returned by the post office .
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

keith wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:09 pm Bare root the seedlings and wrap them in soft paper and put in a box and fill all empty space in the box with paper or foam pellets whatever is light.

If the box weights more than 10 Oz and you use stamps it will be returned by the post office .
Do they need to be misted with water or leave the paper towels dry?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Put them in a match box (tape it so it does not slide open), and put this in a normal bubble wrapped or even non bubble wrapped envelope. That is how I did that. Match boxes are quite sturdy and not very heavy.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Ship them dry - even a that size they can go months without water and it won't hurt them.
Spence :mrgreen:
7george

Post by 7george »

This size of cacti is definitely easier to ship than 1 or 2 meter high plants. Do it in a cardboard box, wrapped with paper (bags), napkins and cotton between bare-rooted plants. Anticipate if your package would arrive before frosts if going to northern destinations.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

Thank you all very helpful!
keith

Post by keith »

Do they need to be misted with water or leave the paper towels dry?"

Keep Dry and don't put them in Plastic bags , I don't even like seeds in plastic bags .