growing in winter

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
anoa0101

growing in winter

Post by anoa0101 »

what is the best way of keeping my cacti all snug and warm (and dry) during the winter- i live in Israel and the weather can sometimes be subtropic, and sometimes be arid, and sometimes just plain cold and wet.
thanks
templegatejohn

Keeping cacti in winter

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi there,

It very much depends on the species of cacti you are talking about, but with your climate your problem will probably be keeping them cool enough. Most cacti will be able to withstand a minimum temperature of 45f 7c without coming to any harm as long as they are kept dry. This sort of temp. should be aimed for as they need a winter rest. If the temp. is too warm the cacti will continue to grow. if then there is a cold spell the new growth will be very susceptible to rot. Also if the cacti are kept too warm this can affect their flowering in the following year. Plants that need to be kept warmer 15c 60f are Discocactus, Melocactus and Ubelmannia. Hope this is of some help. All plants need as much fresh air (not drafts) as possible, even in winter.
anoa0101

Post by anoa0101 »

is there a change in color or any thing else that i need to be looking out for during the winter?

is it best to keep them indoors if possible?