Cholla and Yucca habitat pics

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
CoronaCactus

Cholla and Yucca habitat pics

Post by CoronaCactus »

On our way home from a weekend long car race, my wife and i stopped by the side of the road to explore some cholla's we spotted on our way up a few days before.

I was very excited, as this would be our first encounter with habitat cacti. (as enthusiasts) It was great to be out there in the middle of essentially nowhere, yet still only 30 miles from home. Funny how that works.

The chollas were everywhere!! big ones, small ones, short ones, tall ones...it was great. And of course, the Yuccas were awesome, all standing proud for as far as the eye could see. Some as tall as 25 feet and 100+ branches and heads :shock:

So as usual, i snapped a bunch of pics. I was also proud of myself for IDing them correctly too :D My wife pleaded the bigelovii case well tho. (i did ID them correctly, right? :| )

Daiv, feel free to use these for the site if needed. The locality these were taken: Highway CA-138 south of the town of Littlerock, which i beleive is part of the San Bernardino National Forest area. About 10-12 miles north of I-15.

hope you enjoy!

Cylindropuntia echinocarpa

Silver Cholla

These where so awesome. The time of day was perfect, the sun was getting low and as you looked out across the plain, all the cholla's would glow golden and became pretty easy to spot.
Image Image Image

Yucca brevifolia
Joshua Tree

These are pretty common and there are thousands upon thousands of them growing as far as you can see. A Yucca desert forest for sure. Really cool plants.
Image Image Image

I was purposely looking for just this kinda thing, small little guys just starting out. I looked in every tuft and then found this one :) Then turned around and found the next little guy right there out in the open.
Image Image

This one has seen better days...
Image Image

This one had a nest in it. Gotta be a brave bird or whatever to build a home in a cholla!
Image Image

Here's bit of a panoramic view.
ImageImageImage
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

here are some more shots of the Yuccas.
Sorry some are a bit blurry, took them while driving by.

Image Image

Dunno whats up with this group??

Image Image
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks Darry,
I to have been driving past them or 20 years but have never stopped...
And now I dont have to :P

PS. looks to me like that group of yuccas caught fire at some point.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Amazing what you see but don't notice. No pictures of Yucca whipplei Darryl? I agree with the fire theory.
Buck Hemenway
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Tony, Pics are cool and all, but being right there with them is better :D

Sorry Buck, i wouldn't know what a whipplei looks like. It never even dawned on me that there'd be different types of Yuccas out there :oops:

We do plan to go back and spend more than 20 mins

I thought of fire too, but thought the leaves would have been burned off.
kaktus

Post by kaktus »

Great shots! I wish we had a few more species up here...
Thanks for sharing
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Darryl,
Fun post. I think many overlook C. echinocarpa because of the general lack of enthusiasm for Opuntiodes. But they really are remarkable and beautiful plants.

They seem to me the toughest of all North American Cacti. Peterb, might have other thoughts on this, but I have noticed that Creosote Bush (Larrea tridentata) is about the toughest and second to that is C. echinocarpa, the Silver Cholla or Golden Cholla.

I see your populations are a bit in-between Silver and Gold. I noticed that up around Death Valley, they are very golden-colored, while down in Anza-Borrego, they are quite a brilliant silver.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Great pictures Darryl. Love the C. echinocarpa's :thumbright:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi- Well, hmmm...Daiv raises a very interesting question. What is the toughest of all North American Cacti?? Maybe we should hold a few cage matches....

Thing is, of course, "tough" is a relative term. Certainly the desert extremes of the areas that echinocarpa grows (and thrives) in are brutal. And it does seem that the "toughest" of the cacti would have to be an opuntioid. Just because.

But my vote might go to "Utahia" sileri, from the mud pans of the Four Corners. Soil surface temps of 130F are not uncommon in peak summer. -5F is a fairly regular winter overnight low. Soil pH has been measured as high as 10.1.

Of course, sileri doesn't exactly "thrive" there. Anyway, it's an interesting question. Good old C. imbricata is definitely up there, as is O. polyacantha for sure. Someday the world will be covered with O. polyacantha, roaches, ants and pine trees. :lol:

peterb
Zone 9
peter

Post by peter »

Hi Darryl
Great photos! Thanks for sharing! :)