couple of flowers and buds

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

i have just researched it (looked it up on the internet and books) and found that its called 'thigmotactic anthers'. prickly pears and lophophoras are supposed to have this function.

i made a very quick video of this on my digital camera if you guys are interested? :P
(perhaps this should be a new topic?)
:

(sorry about quality)
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

oh man, when we get in opuntia at work the first thing i do is go touch all the flowers and watch the stamens move! My boss thinks i'm nuts, I think its a hoot. My guess is they do it so that any pollinator gets more thoroughly covered in pollen increasing the likelyhood that it will pollinate another flower elsewhere. It certainly is fun regardless of why they do it.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

hehe yes it is fun :lol: I think i tired this one out!
Is this a typical feature of the Coryphantha genus?
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

Thats interesting, it moved really fast, almost like it wanted to trap your finger.

Great flowers there Lewis, im jealous/ashamed, only 2 of my cacti are flowering, one Mamm and my Parodia :(
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

no need to be jealous/ashamed, they flower when they are ready. Only a few of mine are flowering now, most have already finished. I just discovered a bud on my Lophophora williamsii, the first of mine, will post pics when it opens. :P
MichaelCactus

Post by MichaelCactus »

You better :P
Completely Confused, yet Completely Addicted.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Huh? I was not even aware of this feature. Thanks for the video! Come spring time, I am going to poke away at my flowers and see how they react. :)
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
lordarutha

Post by lordarutha »

Brilliant, thanks for posting that, I have never seen it before. =D>
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

daiv wrote:Huh? I was not even aware of this feature. Thanks for the video! Come spring time, I am going to poke away at my flowers and see how they react. :)
If you have any opuntias that flower, i've never met one that doesn't do this. And they contain about 5 times as many anthers so its even more dramatic.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

is this a typical feature for coryphantha elephantidens? or perhaps hes trying to get me back after i removed his only offset..
Last edited by Lewis_cacti on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
mughal113

Post by mughal113 »

Wow....cool! :shock:
-Mughal
Filord

Post by Filord »

I´ve seen this also on some Astrophytum and Thelocacti last summer only in sunny hot days.
Filip
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

astros? i tried some of my myriostigma flowers today, but nothing :( I think this is wierd how some do and some dont. i searched the net and couldn't find any info about coryphanthas having this feature.
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

Lewis_cacti wrote:is this a typical feature for coryphantha elephantidens? or perhaps hes trying to get me back after i removed his only offset..
I have no idea about this with coryphantha in general, the only cacti i can ever get to bloom are my opuntia, i think the rest all hate our -20ºF winters. You should definitely keep track of which ones do and don't, if for no other reason than its a fun reaction!
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

yeah, thats a good idea.
list so far:
1. opuntia microdasys (tried yesterday and sure enough they do).
2. other opuntias (havent seen them though, will try asap)
3. parodia sp. (according to cactus growing friend).
4. coryphantha elephantidens
5. Astrophytum sp. (i'll take Filords word for it, mine refused to co-operate :( )