Echinocactus horizanthalonius care

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
LuvDemCacti

Echinocactus horizanthalonius care

Post by LuvDemCacti »

Hi, everyone.
This is my first post. I'm looking forward to sharing and learning from this great group of folks. My queston today regards watering frequency of Echinocactus horizanthalonius. I have recently acquired three nice specimens, but I'm confused about how often to water them. Some say "never", that they can survive on the humidity in the air alone. Others say once a month during the summer. I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks.
Vic :D
iann

Post by iann »

Not never :)

Just not very often in summer and not at all in winter. Rule number one should probably be that it dry out completely before you water again, that will stop you overwatering too badly. That should take no more than a few days in summer or your soil is too soggy, use plenty of grit. Use a loam soil, not an organic soil.

If you have a mature specimen, anything more than a couple inches across really, then you can rest assured that they could last your whole summer without water if they really had to so the only thing you will do to hurt them is give too much water.

Full sun and as much heat as you can find. Are you in the mountains? A greenhouse will help. Down round Atlanta and south, just being out on a nice south-facing patio will be warm enough.

E. horizonthalonius is hardy down to below 20F, maybe 10F if completely dry. The skin may mark in cold humid conditions. Its probably best to keep it above, or only slightly below, freezing in your climate.
--ian
LuvDemCacti

Post by LuvDemCacti »

Thanks very much for your reply, Iann. I live about 35 miles NE of Atlanta and keep the E. Horiz. cacti on a bench in my back yard that gets about 5 hours of direct sun in the summer. Today was a perfect day for them (97 degrees F.). I also use a very gritty mixture, as you suggest. I'll try my hand at uploading some images tomorrow. I'm a real "spine freak", so this species is very attractive to me. I also enjoy collecting Thelocactus Heterochromus & Hexaedrophorus for their strong and colorful spination.
LuvDemCacti

Post by LuvDemCacti »

OK. Here's my first attempt to upload pics.
LuvDemCacti

Post by LuvDemCacti »

I uploaded three images. They showed up in gallery, but not my post. What did I do wrong?
mikayak

Post by mikayak »

"the gallery" is not your post. I always just click the "upload picture" button, go thru the process and say "normal" positioning.
LuvDemCacti

Post by LuvDemCacti »

OK, thanks. Another try...........Image
LuvDemCacti

Post by LuvDemCacti »

Got it!
TimN

Post by TimN »

Those are *very* handsome cacti! Just try to keep the kudzu off them!

Tim
iann

Post by iann »

They look a little thirsty, at least for cacti in cultivation, but that will almost inevitably fix itself unless you have iron willpower and a lock on your watering can ;)
--ian
LuvDemCacti

Post by LuvDemCacti »

Thanks, Tim. I got a good laugh from your comment about the kudzu. Hmmm.... maybe I could try crossing a E.H. with kudzu and come up with a E.H. that grows like crazy and is impossible to kill. :D
LuvDemCacti

Post by LuvDemCacti »

Iann,
I have had these for about three weeks now. I have watered the middle one once, but not the other two yet. I'm waiting until we have a few days of hot and dry weather. The thing that fascinates me about this genus is how rock-hard they are. And, of course I love the spines. If they just weren't so expensive.
Old Lefty

Post by Old Lefty »

You have some beautiful examples, E.horiz body and spines are to die for. Best of luck with the cultivation, one word to sum it up, SUN :!: