cigarette ashes??

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
dustin0352

cigarette ashes??

Post by dustin0352 »

i use ashes from my cigarettes on my vegtable plants like tomatoe and peppers, and it work wonderful for a fert, and a pestaside. Will this work for my cacti or not?? how i use it on my veggy's is, I just sprinkle a little bit just to cover the top of soil then water it in. all in all i use less that a tablespoon, cause i do know that in large amounts nicotine is a deadly poision.

just wondering.
iann

Post by iann »

Nicotine is not systemic. Applying it to the soil is not much use against most pests. Is there any nicotine left in the ashes?

As for fertiliser, ashes of any kind will be largely oxides and hydroxides of potash, calcium, and magnesium, possibly also sodium. I wouldn't use this as a fertiliser on pot plants and especially not on plants which are likely to be kept dry, too much risk of burning them with excess salt concentration. Keep your ashes for the garden, especially if you have overly acid soil.
--ian
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

If your looking for a fertilizer thats fairly cheap then sprinkle a little Bonemeal around your plants once in awhile. I've had good results from it and even mix some in with my soil mixture.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

there is some unburnt tobacco in the ashes, i have noticed that no insects are after the veggys since using these ashes, but many of my cacti have dagon catipillers*sp munchin away. i already have a systemic pestacide but get no results from it. not realy trying to fertalize just wanted to put waste to work ya know. thank you for the info tho!!