Help! There's been an accident! Espostoa lanata

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
frenzal

Help! There's been an accident! Espostoa lanata

Post by frenzal »

Hello, new user here!
On a whim today I went and bought myself a little Espostoa Lanata "Cotton Ball" Cactus.

He's my first plant of any kind, and I managed to mess things up before I even got him home!
I put him on the seat of my car, and I hadn't gone twenty meters before he tipped over. Soil went everywhere, and now he's hardly standing up.
From my limited internets research as soon as I got home, I worked out that he's probably in the middle of his winter cycle, as I'm posting from Australia, and it's pretty cold right now!
I guess I'll have to re-pot him, but I have no idea what I'm doing.
Can you give me any help or tips, cactiguide?
Is my cactus going to die? :cry:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Frenzal,
I think you did your plant a favor! If it hadn't happened on accident, I would have advised that you repot any new plant and then put it in your own mix.

This also lets you inspect the roots for pests or other problems.

So for a beginner, check out this page: http://www.cactiguide.com/growcacti/

It isn't the "final say" on growing cacti because each grower will learn what works best in his/her specific conditions and develop their own methods.

So welcome to the forum! We've lots of folk here from Austrailia so you can get specific advice from them too.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti