Gymnocalycium

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
cactusboston

Gymnocalycium

Post by cactusboston »

Please, help to identify this plant
ImageImage
Last edited by cactusboston on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

Gymnocalycium quehlianum?
cactusboston

Post by cactusboston »

It looks more like G.ochoterenai/vatteri or G.occultum to me. Can not decide which one is this.
G.quehlianum has 4 spines, the one on the photo has 3. So, it is still a mystery to me.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

G. ochoterenae seems most likely to me. But how can one know for sure? These plants can vary so much in appearance. Is 3 vs. 4 spines a reliable ID tool for this species?
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Mike

Post by Mike »

what about triacanthum, mine looks pretty close. your pics have a bluish tone to them, I don't know if the plant is bluish green or the pic.
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

daiv wrote:G. ochoterenae seems most likely to me. But how can one know for sure? These plants can vary so much in appearance. Is 3 vs. 4 spines a reliable ID tool for this species?
I doubt it, Gymnos are a highly variable genus. My G.quehlianum has a very similar flower and 3 spines per areole, but it has less ribs than cactusboston's though. G.ochoterenae does look most likely.
Mike

Post by Mike »

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DG

Have a look at some of these - stellatum, ochoterenae, quehlianum - they seem awfully vareiable and hard to distinguihs.
birdguy34

Post by birdguy34 »

We recently had a speaker from Argentina at my local cactus club and showed all these species and erinaceum and said that at pretty much any given stop within their range you could find all variations of them and tended to call all of them erinaceum. Just makes it harder for us not having been to habitat to Id our plants
Chris
cactusboston

Post by cactusboston »

Mike, thank you for the link. It is quite useful.
I guess I hit really sensitive area with this one :) .
True, that this genus is highly variable. Fortunately enough cultivation conditions are same or similar for most of Gymnos and plants are quite forgiving. In the end, in this case label is just a formality. I will put it as G.ochoterenai v.? for time being.
Thanks for the discussion.