Cereus forbesii - ER Help Required

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Barmoo

Cereus forbesii - ER Help Required

Post by Barmoo »

Hi profis,

I have what I believe to be a proud standing, ten year old, Cereus forbesii. Not sure about the actual name but the rest is correct :D Height about 80cm.

During last summer I noticed that the thicker parts of the plant at the base were spongy to touch and believed I had not watered the plant sufficiently.

I feed it some plant food maybe twice during the summer and a little water the rest of the time. The plant was relocated this summer onto a south facing window (the sun was present only for a few hours).

However, this week I noticed what is horribly clear in the picture 1) a kind of mould on the soil surface 2) a distinct yellowing of the plant and 3) all parts of the plant feel like there is no water present (that kind of real hollow feeling). I believe that the yellowing parts faced out of the window - else I would have seen the problem earlier I think

OK - I think its dying :evil:

A replanting to a larger (than 7inch pot) was planned - but I forgot. Certainly it seemed a little big for the pot. I also wanted to change the soil for something lighter.

My Question to you folks, and sorry for the long intro, is:-

How can I stop it from completely dying. Its like a friend. Does the yellowing mean an absolute end?

Many thanks in advance.

My cat is 6 years old (just thought I'd put things in perspective).

BarMoo.
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

Hello, Barmoo,
First, I do not believe this is a cereus but rather an euphorbia, maybe trigona ?
It appears to me that the sun burned it but I could be wrong. In which country are you and/or what is the season at the moment ? It is important to know before suggesting you anything.
Dominique
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Yes, it's no cactus but an Euphorbia. Bummer, it must have been a fabulous plant... You should take cuttings of green parts at the top. Let these dry a few months (untill March or April) in conditions of 10-15 °C and then plant them in cactus substrate. Watch out for full sun, for cuttings without roots it's very dangerous.
Also, Euphorbia's contain a white sap that is poisonous, so wear gloves when cutting the plant.
Good luck!
Barmoo

Post by Barmoo »

Hi folks,

May thanks for the prompt replies.

My location is Berlin and its is very definitely winter here. :lol:

I was rather upset when i took the photo because it made the damage look even worse: poor plant.

@DieTer-Xz - to take a cutting, I guess I simply cut it (LOL), remove the dead part, and follow the rest of your instructions, correct? What is a cactus substrait?

@Dominique - you believe it may be sun damage, but could overwatering do this? Or, could heat from quite a hot radiator I have blasting away under the window have contributed?

OK, I'll go the whole hog and ask one final question. Normally these plants have a waxy/glossy lustre about them. Mine seems to be loosing that lustre even on the healthy parts - any ideas?

Questions Questions, LOL.

Many thanks for everyones input.

BarMoo.
DieTer-Xz

Post by DieTer-Xz »

Yes, it is okay. Cactus substrate is special ground for cacti and other succulents. It contains a lot of mineral parts, like small stones, broken bricks, some sand, ... I suggest you just buy it in a garden centre and take cuttings right away!
I don't believe it has something to do with the sun, or with watering. Euphorbia's tend to like higher winter temperatures and thus more water.
I also suggest, though it is winter, that you repot your plant is a bigger pot and cut away dead parts, don't give any water the next month then!
I don't know what is causing the disappearance of the lustre, it may be a natural consequence of the disease your plant is having.
Don't give up hope! Even if your plant doesn't survive, you still have cuttings, and of the same plant you had before. You can even call them the children of your old plant :P.
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi BarMoo, A hot radiator could well be the cause of the damage. If you do take a cutting(s) remember to allow the cut surface to 'scar' over. This is achieved by allowing it to dry out for a week or more then place the cutting{s} on dry sand until the start to send out roots, alternatively a dry compost would do.

Euphorbias have a milky latex sap that is poisonous so thin rubber gloves are helpful, particularly if you have small cuts or grazes on your hands and be careful not to let the sap get into your eyes. Just take care and you will be fine.

If the cut area continues to bleed the white sap spray the area with cool water this will help stop the sap flowing.

If it were my plant I would try to take one or two cuttings now, but then take more cuttings in a few weeks time. Why? Because it is really the wrong time of year to be taking cuttings, so for emergencies take some now, but you will probably stand more chance of them rooting in the late spring time.

Hope this helps,

John
Dominique

Post by Dominique »

I do believe that it is not watering that caused this or the whole plant would show the same signs. Here, it is only on one side.
Dominique
Barmoo

Post by Barmoo »

Dominique wrote:I do believe that it is not watering that caused this or the whole plant would show the same signs. Here, it is only on one side.
I guess I couldn't see the wood for the trees, LOL. You are absolutely right of course.

BarMoo.
Barmoo

Post by Barmoo »

Well folks, its been some time and I finally got round to making some cuttings (if you can call lobbing-off everything above the brown - a cutting).

Then, with my CSI gloves on I investigated further.

I was shocked at the root growth. It was less than the size of a babies hand? The soil was moist, yet everything above the soil line was completely dried-out.

I cut, well, snapped open one of the 'shoot-things'. Dry, like scrapbook flower dry?

This poor plant had clearly been sapping the life out of itself for months - and as you saw in the picture, had finally given up the ghost.

Question is how, why, et al.

I have no idea about the root structure for this type of plant: I originally called a cactus ;-) but I would have expected a 1m plant to have a substantial root system in any event.

My guess is either I damaged the roots as I moved it around the house a couple of times - or, six months prior to me taking that picture (when I moved house) one of the mover's damaged it: like it broke off and they shoved it back in the soil. The root 'hub' was literally centimetres below the surface when I took shears to poor thing.

I know know the soil wasn't the best type, but ... it managed ten years?

Any of you guys got a spin on this?

Regards,

Mark.