Repotting Melocactus

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
LuvDemCacti

Repotting Melocactus

Post by LuvDemCacti »

We all know that Melocactus should not be repotted after they begin to produce their cephalium. Does anyone know why? Is it because their root system is fragile after they mature, and repotting would do irrepairable damage? Have any of you repotted a Melo after it has produced the caphalium with any success?
Vic
peterb

Post by peterb »

Hi Vic- I have, following the advice of an expert grower which was to disturb the roots as little as possible. It seemed to work fine. I ended up giving the plant away, but I've heard it's still doing great.

peterb
Zone 9
birdguy34

Post by birdguy34 »

From what I read and been told their root systems isn't as vigorous as when young and if you are not careful when repotting they can be reluctant to replace lost roots. I do know people who have repotted plants with cephalums with no problem at all and I for one had one lose its roots and did eventually establish itself again. I would just be careful.
Chris
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

instead of repotting and the resulting possible killing, just feed up mature specimens with liquid food regularly over the growing season, and place fresh soil mix with added slow release fertilizer in it on the surface of the existing soil once it becomes old and exhausted.
LuvDemCacti

Post by LuvDemCacti »

Lewis,
That's something I might try. Thanks.